Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

How to cut a Keel for a 1951-18'Riviera

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jlgsail

How to cut a Keel for a 1951-18'Riviera

Post by jlgsail » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:45 am

I am almost finished replacing the bottom frames and the next step will be to replace the keel. The old keel is still in one piece but has many old screw holes and cracks from past usage and I do not think it can be saved. Is there an instructional video or a reading scource that I can get to help me in cutting and shaping (step by step) the new keel and can it be made by laminating two mahogony boards or should it be made from a single piece of wood. Can use help.

Theurkauf

Re: How to cut a Keel for a 1951-18'Riviera

Post by Theurkauf » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:21 pm

I don't know of a video, but Danenberg's "How to Restore Your Wooden Runabout" has a pretty detailed description of keel replacement. He suggests a scarf joint if you can't get full length lumber. I've epoxy laminated mahogany boat frames and it works well, and can be stronger than solid lumber. I think that's a reasonable option. Danenberg suggests white oak for the keel, and this is a different story. White oak is very strong and rot resistant, but it has a reputation for not holding epoxy very well.

jlgsail

Post by jlgsail » Thu Aug 22, 2013 7:24 pm

Hi,
Thanks,I have read Dan's book and keep it with me all the as the bible to boat restoring.
Iam located in Los Angeles and I hopefully have a scource in get me a 16 foot piece of Mahogony to make the keel. I have never tackled a project like this so I am learning as I go. I did find a video on you tube that shows how one person cut the keel with the use of a router and a guide screwed or clampled to the frames. So I guess that is the way to go.Thank you again for your reply.
Jay

Trick414

Post by Trick414 » Fri Aug 23, 2013 1:49 am

I'm just finishing up my bottom on my 51 Riviera. http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... f=3&t=7931

I didn't replace the keel though.

Along with Danenberg's book, I also picked up 16 DVD's from http://www.townsendboatworks.com/.

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything in there specifically about cutting a new keel. But, I think the set is worth the $200. There were a lot of little tricks in there that were real gems. He also frequently mentions the Danenberg book, as he follows it pretty closely. However, he sometimes tries other techniques and presents some nifty options.

I picked up the set after I had quite a bit work done on the deck and topsides. There were so many head-slapping moments when he did something and explained it that I would get close to crying. For instance, after I had the thousand or so bungs replaced in the deck, he had a short video on doing the bungs. It's a simple operation to replace bungs, but I watched the video anyway. That's when I learned about the chamfer on the bung cutter. If you have a thick enough piece of wood or you cut the bung cutter down to a more manageable size, you get a bung that will slip right into the hole. It's still a nice fit, but you don't have to fight it in like the thousand or so that I did.
1951 Riviera 18' KLC
Hull Registry