Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

paint questions

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

prlentz

paint questions

Post by prlentz » Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:42 pm

My boat has a west system bottom and I am looking at repainting. Is there anything special that I need to do or type of paint. I am new to this . The bottom is green but correct is red . 1938 sportsman 15.5 . I will be trying to get it as close to the right colors as possible is there a chris craft pms color ? Also how do you paint a boat bottom if it is on a trailer and I don't have an over head lift ? I am sure that there is a clever way to make this work and not have to leave bunk placement unpainted .

RRGadow

Re: paint questions

Post by RRGadow » Thu Dec 18, 2014 6:16 pm

No...if its been painted before....paint away!
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:53 am

2 giant saw horses. Locate over lifting eyes.
First lift tounge of trailer as high as possible. Tie front lifting eye to front giant horse. Lower tounge.
Block up small hydraulic pump jack to keel/transom point. Jack up boat and tie rear lifting eye to rear giant horse.
Hull # 16-R-OX2 (March 1946)
Engine 1B #26564

That's me 1950 - already a CC lover!

prlentz

Post by prlentz » Mon Dec 29, 2014 1:31 pm

What brand or type of paint is recommended ? Also how do I find the right color of red for 1938 ? Appreciate the tip on how to lift the boat to paint without an overhead hoist. Thanks for all the help