Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

From Archive: Multiple Choke Linkage by Chip DeBoer

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Multiple Choke Linkage by Chip DeBoer

Post by Club Archivist » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:56 am

Greetings list,
I have a 1938 Gray Fireball 6-160 engine and the carb's have been driving me nuts since we completed the restoration of our boat in 1991. I finally replaced the three old Zenith 228's with modified NOS Zenith 228's that have accelerator pumps that should actually work!

My three new carb's have chokes on them. (The old ones did not.) The three carb's are mounted mid engine on the port side of the motor in a triangular or "tarantula" configuration. Two of the carb's are mounted outboard and one is mounted inboard on the manifold. All of the carb's are at the same height. The multiple throttle linkage runs bow to stern. The chokes on all three carb's are set up to have their linkages run starboard to port. 

Here's my question.
Is there a mechanism or linkage system available that will control all three chokes from the single choke cable that I will be mounting in the forward cockpit of the boat?

Thanks!
Chip DeBoer 
Posted by Club Archivist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This topic was reposted from Memberclicks archive

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Multiple Choke Linkage by Don Ayers

Post by Club Archivist » Wed Nov 16, 2005 8:57 am

Chip;

I know just the fella you want to get in touch with.  His name is Rube Goldberg. Ha!  Just kidding.  I'm very familiar with your engine and I will look into it to see what I can envision.  I have a picture of your engine you sent me some time ago.  I'll start there.

Thx
Don Ayers

Ps.  Van Ness is just about finished with my 1940 Gray Fireball 150.  I can't wait to hear it run.
Posted by Club Archivist
This topic was reposted from Memberclicks archive