Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

From Archive: Salt Water Flush by Matt Smith

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Salt Water Flush by Matt Smith

Post by Club Archivist » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:11 pm

Hello all. I've just joined the ccabc and own a very nicely done 1949 Deluxe runabout. I am planning on using it on the Northern Neck of Virginia. Is there anyone else there in the club? Have I lost my mind? Advice on Saltwater preservation tips. Yes I know don't put in the water. Ha. Tricks. And such. Were is a good place to put a fresh water tap so I can flush the engine and such.

Matt Smith
Posted by Club Archivist
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This topic was reposted from Memberclicks archive

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Salt Water Flush by Primospal

Post by Club Archivist » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:12 pm

Matt: I cut the rubber hose from the discharge end of the water pump to the exhaust manifold and inserted bronze quick connects. When I am done with the boat, I break the disconnect and run a garden hose with a quick connect to the manifold side of the hose and run fresh water slowly through the manifold and block as I am wiping down the boat. I let it run for at least 10-15 minutes.
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Salt Water Flush by Tom King

Post by Club Archivist » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:18 pm

Matt, I flush the engine after running in salt water (West River on the Chesapeake). The boat itself is also thoroughly cleaned with murphy's oil soap and wiped down.

Tom
Shady Side, MD
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Salt Water Flush by Primospal

Post by Club Archivist » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:19 pm

Tom: Do you run the engine while flushing out?
Posted by Club Archivist

Club Archivist
Site Admin

From Archive: Salt Water Flush by Lee Sharp

Post by Club Archivist » Sat Nov 12, 2005 5:22 pm

Just buy a universal kit from Boatman's Inet Marine. Then do a bit of custom plumbing to separate the engine water from the exhaust water, and you may need a second water pump. (I can't remember if the K had a circulation pump. It should, as that block is also used in industrial generators, and fork lifts even to this day.) It would be all custom, and the technical issues would be almost as hard as making it not look anachronistic. But the payoff, in my mind, is worth it. I personally will NOT EVER run a engine in slat water without closed cooling.

Lee
Posted by Club Archivist

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:37 pm

Matt, If you are not concerned about originality, you can break into your water pickup hose ahead of either the water pump on a Hercules based flathead six, or the sea water pickup pump on a Chevy based V8. Then you can put 1/4 turn valves and a tee in the line to make a bypass. The valves can be switched over when you don't want to pickup the lake water in the normal fashion, to a garden hose or fresh water supply, a bucket of anti- freeze for winterization, or just left hanging in the bottom of the bilge with a strainer for an extra backup bilge pump if needed. It works great and I highly recommend it. But you have to have the room for it, usually not a problem, and it will not look original. And, you gotta remember to switch the valves back to the original pickup path before you go boating again!
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project