Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Original Post from Archive by Dick Baner: Engine Plate

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Bill Basler

Original Post from Archive by Dick Baner: Engine Plate

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:06 am

I am replacing one of my chevy 283 exhaust manifolds with a new center casting. I want to remove the brass serial id plate from the old manifold and install it on the new one. It is attached with what look like brass rivets. I am able to drill out the old rivets but would like some advice as to how to re-attach the plate to the new manifold. Any advice?

Dick Baner
22 ft 59 Sea Skiff

Bill Basler

Original Post from Archive by Al Casby: Engine Plate

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Oct 31, 2005 8:08 am

Dick:

The fasteners you describe are not rivets, but "drive screws". Essentially, a round headed rivet-style fastener that has a helix-shaped thread which runs its shaft length. It was intalled by simply tapping it into place with a hammer, the helical threads cutting their own lands as it is driven in.

Although you can drill these out, they come out quite easily by placing the end of a sharp wood chisel under the plate at a "head-on" angle to the corner, i.e. 45 degrees to either edge and carefully tapping the chisel to
unseat the corner drive screw. Place the chisel bevel down and take it easy....they will come out without bending the plate.

As to what to replace them with? I suggest "drive screws"! Available in both original bronze and steel as well as stainless, these will afford you the opportunity to re-attach your plates without giving us purists heartburn!!

Keep her original,

Al