Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

A small repair...

Framing, planking and fairing. Repair, or reconstruction. If it's hull related, you'll find it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Peter M Jardine

Re: A small repair...

Post by Peter M Jardine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:05 pm

A before back cockpit... it will be relatively similiar..

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:20 pm

The original hatch was vinyl covered in white. I built this one about five years ago.... I keep it covered of course

This is the current incarnation of the cockpit table and cupboard shown in the cockpit picture... the original top got compromised with some water, so this is Carpathian burled elm veneer... I'm not completely happy with it, but...

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Fri Sep 13, 2013 9:24 pm

Looks like a great spot to knock back a Molson's at sundown :D

rsundstrom

Post by rsundstrom » Sun Sep 15, 2013 10:37 am

Peter,
Wow, I am truely inspired, just an awesome job! :D
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!
H.L Mencken.

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:35 pm

I must admit this year has not been as successful as I wanted it to be. I work full time, work at West Marine part time, (they have a GREAT associate discount) and then work on the boat, the house, and occasionally do small projects for other people..........It's meant the boat hasn't got the energy this year that it needed, because the maintenance staff was out of it :wink: ... Oh well, it will get done.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:59 pm

Peter M Jardine wrote:I must admit this year has not been as successful as I wanted it to be. I work full time, work at West Marine part time, (they have a GREAT associate discount) and then work on the boat, the house, and occasionally do small projects for other people..........It's meant the boat hasn't got the energy this year that it needed, because the maintenance staff was out of it :wink: ... Oh well, it will get done.

The old axiom

"When you want a job done, give it to a busy man" :)

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:53 pm

The countertops are fitted, now I need to finish the rail around the countertop, and the dish cabinet for the galley.
I was fortunate to have some mahogany pieces to make the doors.... 3 pieces laminated in each door :wink:

I made the cabinet out of marine ply, and finished it in white, and the doors in varnish

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Fri Oct 18, 2013 1:25 pm

We hope to be going through the Murray Canal and B of Q during the summer of 2015, heading for Kingston. 2016 if we decide to keep Elude in Toronto for the first season she is back in service. Maybe we can drop by your marina and compare notes, triumphs, and heartaches.

Rob
1937 35' Double Stateroom Enclosed Cruiser

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Fri Oct 18, 2013 5:48 pm

Robert that would be great, drop in anytime. I work at the local Toyota dealership, and I also work part time at the West Marine store in Kingston... I am giving the winterizing seminar on the 27th of this month!

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:53 pm

Where is the west marine store? Alfords used to sell a lot of that kind of thing on Princess Street. We kept our boat at the Rideau Marina. Not real pretty but the covered slips were like gold.

In a previous photo you showed Vanora under a partial shelter at your Marina. How did you secure permission? I expect that you paid a bit more which is ok, but did you need to rent two slips? I like that setup a lot and I worry that our '37 exposed to the elements for the boating season when she is back in service. Being covered allows for open (but screened) hatches and windows. I swear that ventilation is the most important element for a boat's long life.

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:51 pm

The West Marine store is in the power centre that used to be the Kingston Shopping centre. Funny you mention Alfords, I know both Steve and Terry Alford, great guys, and their mother just recently passed away in her 90's.

I keep my boat at a privately owned small marina, and I built and paid for the docks and structure. It has been a fantastic improvement for the boat, and my marina, Stillwater Basin owned by Bob Dolan is a wonderful community and he has been very supportive of my needs.

I agree, ventilation is important, but man, is it ever good to keep the sun and rain off of her.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:05 am

Inside storage and a covered slip are the most important thing. My point was that covering a woody allows for keeping it open and ventilated year round. The only time Elude is outside is when we are using her. Even when there is a run of good weather, a boat will be drenched in condensation every night. An open boathouse, and I presume your nifty garage, eliminates that entirely. What do you do in the off-season? The dome shelter Elude is in will be her winter home unless we find a year round covered slip. I will explore the setup you have. Based on the dome shelter experience you would also have the advantage of a very bright inside, unlike the dingy light of a covered slip.
Attachments
dome shelter.jpg
no rain, no uv, no condensation...no worries

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:50 pm

robertpaul wrote:Inside storage and a covered slip are the most important thing. My point was that covering a woody allows for keeping it open and ventilated year round. The only time Elude is outside is when we are using her. Even when there is a run of good weather, a boat will be drenched in condensation every night. An open boathouse, and I presume your nifty garage, eliminates that entirely. What do you do in the off-season? The dome shelter Elude is in will be her winter home unless we find a year round covered slip. I will explore the setup you have. Based on the dome shelter experience you would also have the advantage of a very bright inside, unlike the dingy light of a covered slip.

Who makes this unit?

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:15 pm

Jim

These are made by Western Tarpaulin in Etobicoke. Check their web site for details on their product line. The fabric is really tough and if punctured (someone dropped a rack against mine three years ago and punched a small hole, which has not enlarged at all) will not tear. Mine is 36x14x14 and cost about $4,500. I put mine up in two days by myself. I have attached a pic where you can see abit of the tubular steel frame.

Rob
Attachments
S1200016.jpg
frame of dome shelter visible in background

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:11 pm

Nice, 8) Thanks Rob. Jim.

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Sat Oct 19, 2013 4:22 pm

I LOVE that dome shelter. I built mine out of parts from a website that sells pieces that take galvanized conduit as pipe.
Here is their site, and the stuff is pretty cheap.

http://www.tarps.com/econoretail.htm

I would love to buy one of those Dome shelters for winter.... that would solve a lot of headaches for me. I currently use a shelter that is clamps from Astrud, it's a hassle.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:37 pm

Mine has withstood winds in excess of 100kph for three days. It is worth it.

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:42 pm

I finally have the boat covered, with a 2 X 4 frame all the way around her. Late fall up here is cruel, it is usually cursed with some very high winds, which we got last friday.... 60 mile an hour gusts... plays hell on covers. Anyway, we are covered, and have some room around the boat for the decking project we will take on in the spring. In the meantime, I will keep going on the interior, and do some wiring. I am also replacing all the pressure water system piping. It is a menagerie of the original copper mixed with various rubber pieces where a crack obviously took place. I bought new galley taps, but kept the original sink. I am putting in a new hot water tank.

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Fri Mar 07, 2014 9:33 am

Thanks to those who showed interest in this thread. Altho no further progress will be shown here, Vanora will be in the water this year!

Jim Bell

Post by Jim Bell » Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:25 pm

Peter, I expect I will be in Belleville a few times this summer. Hope to see you, Nancy and Vanora some time. Regards, Jim.

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Sun Mar 09, 2014 9:52 pm

I go to Kingston often to see my sister and to go fishing. I will swing by for sure to admire your boat.

I wish you many days of happy and safe cruising.

Best regards

Rob

SteveH

Post by SteveH » Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:33 am

Rob and Peter both,

If you happen by the Gan Municipal Marina for a stay, let me know. My family has a cottage on the south side of Tremont Is. and I live only 20 minutes away. Love to see both your boats. Hopefully, I will have the bugs out of my 22 Sea Skiff for this year. I'll take you out for the up close "little boat" tour of the Admiralty Group.

I'll send some contact info through PM,

Steve

1959 22' Sea Skiff (2263)
16 ft. Oughtred Penny Fee
17 ft. Devlin Oarling

robertpaul

Post by robertpaul » Mon Mar 10, 2014 4:08 pm

Deal!