Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Big Skiffs

This is a focused discussion area for information unique to Chris-Craft's Sea Skiff Division.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

evansjw44

Big Skiffs

Post by evansjw44 » Sun May 15, 2011 8:15 pm

Just how many big skiffs are in this forum? Big?? I mean maybe 26 ft and over and day cruisers and express cruisers. I have a '67 35' Sea Skiff Corinthian and sometimes I feel like the lone ranger. eh Tonto?
Jim Evans

rgmxk22

Post by rgmxk22 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:40 pm

Hey Jim,

We've talked before and and my dad still has his 63 31' Sea Skiff Corinthian, so since much of the up keep has fallen to my brother and I, I guess you could say I'm a big Skiff person.

Ron Michael
72 CC XK22
Ohio

Mark Christensen

Post by Mark Christensen » Mon May 16, 2011 9:10 pm

I'm here!

28' '64 Skiff.

1961 24' Chris Craft Sportsman - CUA-24-0007C
1940's Homebuilt 14' Racing Hydroplane

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon May 16, 2011 11:15 pm

Jim, not my project, but I am certainly keeping a close eye on this boat. Could be the subject of an extensive Brass Bell series.

The mother of all Skiff projects:
http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... ght=#20597
http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... ght=#28289

This boat is Brent Tippins in Ontario.
Bill Basler

wnoll

64 35' Corinthian

Post by wnoll » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:29 pm

We've got a 64 35' Corinthian. Haven't even had Josephine for a year yet. Beyond cleaning and minor repairs to larger projects. She sits at Lake of the Ozarks in Missouri. Having so much fun that it is probably going to be another year before we take her out for a major face lift. :D

Here is the grandson ready to drive!!

And here is Josephine (not the best pic)
[/img]

James

Post by James » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:28 pm

[quote="Mark Christensen"]I'm here!

28' '64 Skiff.

Mark - Harpers has a similar boat on e***bay (many times).
Care to hazard a guess on what the price should be ?
Vision without execution is hallucination.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Jun 29, 2011 8:05 pm

Jim and others:

Sadly, I still see a big skiff in Deltaville Va. in a boatyard...poorly blocked up....been there a year or two now....she is, by distant viewing, still fixable.
I would say about a 36.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

rgmxk22

Post by rgmxk22 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:10 pm

wnoll,

I like your 64 35" Sea Skiff, looks almost exactly like my dad's 63 31' Sea Skiff. CC basically carried the same styling over to 64 from 63, they just seemed ad a foot to every model.

Ron Michael
72 CC XK22
Ohio

Neill Walsh

26 foof 1956 sea skiff cruiser

Post by Neill Walsh » Tue Aug 09, 2011 8:27 pm

Hi all'

Have just joined the club and am in the process of complete restoration of our "new" 1957 26 foot fly bridge cruiser. sea skiff.

Was uncles boat in Bath Me. and now my responsibility.
Great bones but needs all surfaces( in and Out) for a complete overhaul for the next half century!

Canvas vs. Dynel any comments ?

No need or desire to glass hull. Is in great shape and
is not going to happen.

Cabin top and deck and surrounds are currently stripped down and are near to recovering.

Thousands of bronze screws have been removed, toe rails, all trim exterior, hardware, windows and guides are out, all interior is taken apart where screws are involved.

All mahogany trim will be stripped and refinished spar varnish. Seems like a good bit of red stain was used on exterior wood. Finish with natural color or stain up to stronger red? Comments...

Have an Attwood head and is apart and cleaned, repainted and needs a couple of rubber flap valves,
Help to find replacements?

Port beam above windows was all rot and has been re-made and laminated with douglas fir and mahogany and has been reinstalled. Small section of rot on starboard side near where the forward windows meet the fore deck. All wood issues are scarfed and glued with new wood. No point at this level for resin fill or any "bondo" type fixes.

A small bit of bondo on the top lapstake at the aft starboard corner under the rail. Will scarf in piece.

Brother has insisted on bright finishing the combing above and below windows. I warned him of the maintainance but he is undeterred.

Engine is M series Hercules flathead six. Will redeck cockpit sole and when deck is up can access all fittings and mechanicles below.

Any comments on whether an electronic ignition retro fit a good idea. Should we consider keeping the old points and condensor bits?

Thanks for your comments and Look forward to hearing from you.

Neill Walsh
Wethersfield CT

Mark Christensen

Post by Mark Christensen » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:16 pm

Neill, the new rule in this thread is that you can't talk about your boat unless you post a pic! ;) we love pictures here at cc.org. :)
1961 24' Chris Craft Sportsman - CUA-24-0007C
1940's Homebuilt 14' Racing Hydroplane