Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Destination New Jersey

Where do you like to visit? Who has the best show venue? How about the best funnel cakes? Ask your questions and get the answers from our worldwide network of experts.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Chad Durren

Destination New Jersey

Post by Chad Durren » Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:06 pm

This is a shout out to any NJ woody boaters. I am vacationing with the family next week in Sea Isle City - South of Atlantic City. I'm looking for an excuse to get away for an afternoon excursion. Are there any spots (marinas, museums, etc) that I should check out within driving distance? Lake Hopatcong might be too far for a day trip. Thanks!
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

Dale Harris

Destinations on the Jersey Shore

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:49 am

Hi Chad,

The closest museum for a day trip for you at Sea Isle City would be the Wetlands Institute at Stone Harbor. It is all about the Jersey Shore wildlife, wetlands and ecosystem of the salt marshes. The Institute sponsors a nice little Festival in Sept. called "Wings and Water". One of their main efforts concerns the saving of the Diamondback Terrapin. Stone Harbor is pretty little town with nice beaches especially down at Stone Harbor Point. Another place to visit is the Tuckerton Seaport Museum in Tuckerton, of course! There's a neat little Stewart's Root Beer stand just down the street from the museum. From Sea Isle City hop on the Garden State Parkway North to the New Gretna exit. Check their website for full directions. Or maybe head south from Sea Isle City to Cape May. Lots of shops, nice beaches, restaurants, and some of most beautiful Victorian architecture on the East Coast. If you're hungry try the Lobster House. It's on your left just after you drive over the bridge into Cape May. Be prepared. It may be very busy. Try a weekday for this. If you have time, drive out to Cape May Point to view the sunset. The city of Cape May has a nice website also.
I live in South Jersey and been to all of these places many times. As a boy I loved to roam the salt marshes of Avalon and investigate the wildlife that lived in the salt ponds. I hope this info helps. Let me know how you make out.

Dale
1955 Chris-Craft 29' Semi-Enclosed Crusier "Mon Ami"

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:20 am

Thanks Dale, all of your suggestions sound like fun. This will be my first trip to the Jersey shore and I'm excited. My wife is a beach bum, but I get restless lounging in the sun. Besides, my mid-western complexion can only take about 15 minutes of sun before I need hospitalization. Let's see... terps, salt marshes, root beer, seaports, lobster and lighthouses. I'll try to fit in as much as I can and I'll let you know how it goes.

Thanks!
1952 CC 18' Sportsman

Dale Harris

Destination New Jersey

Post by Dale Harris » Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:36 pm

Thanks for the note, Chad. You will find that the three southern counties of New Jersey : Salem, Cumberland, and Cape May are a totally different state than North Jersey. Tuckerton , which I believe is in Ocean County, is an exception. Atlantic City doesn't do a thing for me and I generally avoid it. Sea Isle City which my wife and I call "Senile City" is generally quiet, laid back and really kind of nice. It's right across Townsend's Inlet from Avalon where I used to go with my family. My wife's family always vacationed in Sea Isle. If you're staying at a place where you fix your own meals stop at one of the many Mom and Pop farm produce stands on Rt. 9 and pick up some of our famous South Jersey sweet corn and tomatoes as well as other great things such as melons, peppers, squash and peaches. I just spent the afternoon with one of my late dad's surviving brothers, my Uncle Dave, who just got back from Avalon this afternoon. Had a couple of his famous Manhattans with him and he gave me two dozen cooked Blue Claw Crabs that he caught and two dozen freshly dug clams. Life is good! South Jersey is supposed to be a "depressed area" and the folks down here do not tell anyone differently. Yeah, right!
1955 Chris-Craft 29' Semi-Enclosed Crusier "Mon Ami"

dragonfly

Jersey time

Post by dragonfly » Thu Aug 20, 2009 9:15 am

Chad, good morning. For the nautical stuff go to Tuckerton seaport, on rt9 about 20 miles south of rt 72( the Long Beach Island exit). I spent all my youth plying Long Beach Island, its a great place. Anyway, Tuckerton seaport is maybe an hour from Sea Isle, nothr on rt 9. My mother grew up on Sea Isle and all my ancesters are from there. you'll see old Sea Isle names like Smith, Hand ,Cronekers,McBride and Chester. All my people. My mother is buried in the churchyard of the old Pres church on rt9. If you would like to take the folks for an impressive day trip, go to Long Beach Island (rt9 nrth to rt72east). when you get on the Island go north to the end and take the Barnegat Lighthouse tour. It was built by Civil War General Meade. Last note( I promise). If you look at a map of Sea Isle(including the waters) you'll see Townsends Inlet. John Townsend was a local Revolutionary War hero, a Lieutenant I believe, yep, you guessed it, one of my ancesters. Well have fun, hope I was helpful. PS: It maybe faster to take the Garden State Parkway to exit 63 to go to LBI.
1955 18'CC Sea Skiff & 1959 18' Mercury Sabre

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:16 pm

Thanks "Jersey Boys" for all the great ideas. I'm looking forward to a great week with the family. I can't remember the last time I had good crab, lobster or clams. Tuckerton sounds like a must as well as taking in the lighthouses. Peter, I'll tell all the family in Sea Isle you said hello.

I'll be sure to take plenty of pictures.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman

Tom Kenny

Post by Tom Kenny » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:17 am

Chad, I have a couple of extra sanders and brushes that is under repair if you want to check out a 1961 - 55' CC cruiser. I am in Margate, which is south of AC and north of Ocean City.

Give me a call if want to stop by – 610 405-3157

Tom
Tom Kenny
1961 55' Chris Craft Constellation
Independence - ftkltd.com

rpccc43

Post by rpccc43 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:27 pm

Hey Chad,

I can attest to the awesome cruiser "Independance" at Margate. I have been there to see her myself. Worth the trip.

Randman

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:50 pm

Jersey Boys,

Thanks again for helping out with the trip. Just got back today from 6 days at the shore. Weather was great. Tom, wish I had the time to visit the Independence but we never made it any farther north than Ocean City. Maybe on my next trip.

Spent most of the time between Ocean City and Cape May. Enjoyed the beaches, seafood, wildlife, and the scenery. The Lobster House in Cape May was a great call. The closet I came to a boat was a kiddie ride on the boardwalk. I'll be sure to come back.

Best, Chad

1952 CC 18' Sportsman

chriscraftrick

Post by chriscraftrick » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:28 pm

There is nothing better in life than being with the kids where ever it is and then come the grandkids with lots of fun. Isn't life grand, but boats are definatly high on the list. A tough day working on the boat is better then the best day at work. As I was told today, dahm but that work gets in the way of my boat schedule.