Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

"Raybelle" colored linoleum

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

James

Post by James » Mon Feb 08, 2010 12:45 pm

Bill Basler wrote:In following the Mecum/Scott Ales/Riva auction reported in the "Riva Connection" of Boat Buzz, I saw a photo that piqued my interest.

I know that this is not likely and Armstrong material as I believe it comes from a European supplier. Nor is it Raybelle....or at least I do not think it is.

However, I still looked with interest at the 1966 Riva Aquarama. It has a very similar flooring to the Raybelle. It has a similar enlarged "fibery strand" pattern. I don't know how else to describe it.

Can any Riva-heads share some light on this product?
Hello Bill -
"Riva-Head" here....this material has been used in all Riva's since 1960.
(I can find the exact day/hour/hull no. if it's important ;-) Alan Weinstein aka The Riva Guru in FtL often has it in stock. It's very similar to Raybelle/Decoray....but not exactly the same.

(CU pic attached I hope of Riva mtl.)

Vision without execution is hallucination.

Pete DeVito

Re: "Raybelle" colored linoleum

Post by Pete DeVito » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:07 pm

Hello All!

Well I am still searching for some of the Raybelle flooring (photo enclosed) for my 1957 Capri. I have run all my leads down and nothing.. The closest stuff looked to be the Forbo Marmoleum Striato in a Verdi Green color but they do not make that color any longer. The Raybelle from the photo's I have found looked to have lines in it. I did find something in the Marmoleum but can't make the color out from the photo I have enclosed with the chair leg in it. I like the color but it looks a little more grey color.

I know there are other Capri owners out there and would just like to hear what others are doing about this..

Thanks much
Pete
22274_1360921842699_PF Striato Marmoleum.jpg
Marmoleum
Capri Flooring.jpg
Raybelle Original Flooring
Past Project 1948 17' Deluxe
Past Project 1957 19' Capri
Future Project 1955 17' Special Sportsman

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:12 pm

I may have a solution for you. Call me at 405-623-1768

Thx

Don
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:33 pm

All,

Just to keep anyone interested in Raybelle updated.
I contacted:

Johnsonite a flooring manufacturer on the possibility of reproducing our flooring and after a short laugh he told me that all the product was made in Europe. We did talk and he said that linoleum is extremely hard to produce with the jute backing. He said they even have problems with the current lines they produce and to create a new short order they would not be interested.

Forbo - I had contacted these folks awhile back and they did not count us out but it would need to be a fairly large mill run for them to tackle the project. I sent them photo's but no real sample of the original product at the time I was talking with them. I have another call into them to see if we can get this done outside of their normal production line.

If anyone has additional ideas let me know. We will also be looking for everyone to jump on the order wagon if we can get it reproduced somewhere.

Pete

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Sun Dec 29, 2013 6:22 pm

I was viewing a 57 19' Capri on Katz Marina website and it has the original Raybelle in it.
Pete
Attachments
image.jpg
Raybelle Flooring

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sun Dec 29, 2013 7:39 pm

that's the stuff.

Very cool!!!
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

James

Post by James » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Don Ayers wrote:that's the stuff.
Very cool!!!
So……Don :lol: , who is going to convince Seth Katz to give up a nice 12x12 sample (from under the seat, maybe, hmmm…) so there is a "real" sample for 'the club' to provide as a resource to 'the group' that gets the material remanufactured?

I want to be a member of that group, if it gets formed, and fronts the $$$ to manufacture….anyone else stepping up?
Vision without execution is hallucination.

Pete DeVito

Post by Pete DeVito » Wed Jan 01, 2014 7:48 pm

The flooring looks very correct in the Capri that Seth has. Not sure why they used this green color but I am sure they had a reason. There are other areas on the boat that are not correct. The handles on the seat back and the white hidem are a couple. It looks like they covered the dash also. Not sure why the handles are there any clue? I can't wait for Seth to send some close shots of the boat so I can see where the silver welting goes and other good stuff. It sure is neat to see this boat mostly untouched.

srlittin

Post by srlittin » Thu May 22, 2014 10:47 pm

My 1957 Constellation has the same raybelle material on the cabin floor. The removable keel floors are in excellent condition, but the fixed floor covering is non existent.
Did anyone find a supply of this.
Steve

homeiste

Post by homeiste » Fri May 23, 2014 7:25 am

Forbo Marmoleum has a new product called Striato (http://www.forboflooringna.com/Commerci ... m-Striato/) that looks rather identical except for the colors. Others have inquired with them previously about reproducing the flooring, but it might be worth another inquiry now since it looks like the process is now in place and it would only require a different color scheme.
1960 18' Continental
1970 Boston Whaler Sakonnet w/ Bearcat 55 outboard

knotty48

Post by knotty48 » Fri May 23, 2014 8:35 pm

I have been searching for the Raybelle flooring for a while and the bottom line is that there is nothing out there really close when you look at the original. The Forbo Marmoleum Striato is not the product. I talked to Forbo along with some other manufacturers and all our runs were very small and no interest on their part.
I have talked to Paul Cundiff which has really helped us out on upholstery and he may try and tackle this for us.
We all need to keep searching and sooner or later we will get our wish..

This is what the real stuff looks like..
Raybelle Flooring.jpg
Raybelle
Raybelle Flooring, surfray no 80 armstrong cork 1954.jpg
If we could just find this home it's enough for all of us

Margaret Anne

Post by Margaret Anne » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:19 am

I know this is an old post but I found it while looking for Raybelle linoleum.

So I thought I would add this link for others who are also looking for the same flooring.

Here is a link of the 1955 Armstrong book that lists Apple Green 1 and Raybelle 71. Page through this book and take a look!

https://archive.org/details/ArmstrongLinoleum1955

Margaret Anne