Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Need members advice painting engine compartment XK-19

If it doesn't pertain to metal, fiberglass, wire or fabric—but it is about classic fiberglass Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Bad Ass Boat

Need members advice painting engine compartment XK-19

Post by Bad Ass Boat » Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:55 am

I have a 71 X Its very original Im going to pull the engine this morning and have it rebuilt. My question is this. Im going to keep the original engine and volvo out drive keep everything factory. I was thinking about painting the inside of the engine compartment gloss white and puting a chrome timming cover on the engine just to dresss things up. Will I destroy the value of the boat? I may change the color down the road of the boat from brown and white to blue and white will that destroy the value of the boat? Im not going to show the boat I dont have enough money or facilities to do a complete resto. This boat is for me and pleasure boating only.No Im never going to put a merc efi with a merc outdrive oh hell no! I wont butcher this boat! I value your advise.Thanks Roger :D

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sat Jul 19, 2008 8:38 am

Bottom line is it's your boat. However you should (as you are) consider the future value and future owners of the craft. If I was me (IMHO)I would do what ever you want but document what you do and make sure it is reversable. As far as paint and trim. I don't see a big deal changing this. Think about how many Corvette's have been changed over the the blue color. If you do it just do it correctly as the factory would have done i.e. the correct color and trim for a blue and white.

Hope this helps.

Outstanding that you will keep original power!!!
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Bad Ass Boat

Thanks for the reply

Post by Bad Ass Boat » Sat Jul 19, 2008 2:26 pm

This is what I wanted to hear. Im not changing anything drastic but the boat is so rare I didnt want to destroy the value of it. This is good advice I will take a lot of pics before I change anything on it. This boat is very original. Thanks Roger 8)

Budgiecat2

Post by Budgiecat2 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:06 pm

I agree with Ayers! I have a 1974 XK-19 which I have restored. Everything is original except the paint color and carpet . . . and the engine - had to put a new long block 350 in for the time being. It was boat show week last year and the original 350 needs total rebuild. Mine is a user boat, like yours, but it is very nicely restored and I enter it in ACBS shows without shame! Her name is ARRRGH! and a picture of her can be seen in the photo section, Member's Fleet of www.heartland-classics.org.

Larry Nichols