Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Trying to pick up a stored 1954-56 sportsman, need help.....

Winterizing? Summerizing? Covering? Trailering? If it is about a boat out of water put it here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mikegammill

Trying to pick up a stored 1954-56 sportsman, need help.....

Post by mikegammill » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:52 am

We have had a Lake Ozarks cabin in our family for 50+ years, and we have always had this boat down there. I'm not 100% sure the year, as I'm trying to get the boat up to Kansas City. As of right now, I think I will have to have a barge lift to boat and take it to a nearby ramp(the terrain of the lakehouse is treacherous, and would not allow for a land rescue).

Which brings me to my next question, what kind of trailer do I need. I HAD the old reg card, and it said 17', can't remember the year on reg card.
As of right now I need someone that knows what they are talking about and can enlighten me to this matter.

I think I have someone that can move the boat to a trailer, but, I need to know what kind of trailer I can get away with.

I will be heading down to the cabin to take many many detailed pics of the boat. I know it is pretty much a time capsule, has not been touched for 30+ years, and all parts are 100% there. The boat is in surpisingly good shape, with no rot, motor is free etc.

Please help me out here guys, I'm ready to dive into the history of this beautiful boat, and start restoring.

Thanks, Mike from KC

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:57 am

Neat story Mike and welcome aboard from nearby Oklahoma.

Any trailer with standard bunks might work. Beware of the prop shaft out the bottom as that gets in the way of a lot of modern I/O boat trailers. Also you will need to get it on the trailer so the balance i.e. tongue weight is at least a 100-200 pounds.

Can't wait to see the pics
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

mfine

Post by mfine » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:00 pm

Look for a trailer with bunks, not rollers, setup for an inboard ski boat.

Most trailers have an adjustable front post, but in general try to line the axel around the front half of the engine and balance should be close.

WoodenRookie

Post by WoodenRookie » Wed Jun 20, 2012 1:19 pm

Sent ya a PM
1959 18' Continental "Knot Yet"
2013 Cobalt 200WSS
1977 Lakescraft Pontoon