Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Can We Help the Legends?

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Bill Basler

Can We Help the Legends?

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:27 pm

I just got off the phone with Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club member and Brass Bell contributor Herb Pocklington. Herb (the oldest living senior executive of Chris-Craft Corporation during the Golden Years) is actively campaigning create a life-sized memorial to both Christopher C. Smith and Garfield A. Wood in a park beside the St. Clair River, where pleasure-boat building and racing began in Algonac, Michigan.

Please see this prior Brass Bell article about the effort.

I would like to think that the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club members are behind Herb on this project. A memorial of this type is long overdue. As Pocklington explains, "We can no longer give a tour of the Smith or Wood homes, much less their factories, but we can welcome people to an expanded Algonac Museum in a 'Legends of Algonac Park' where they can view films and photos as well as read about these World-famous citizens in the place were unique visions created an industry that reached around the world, provided thousands of good jobs, developed new technologies, and gave birth to an exciting, competitive sport that continues to thrill millions."

I would like to personally challenge members of the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club to support this effort. Funds are needed to make this effort a reality. Please consider a donation to this cause. The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club has created a special Chip-In device to accept donations up until June 20th, at which time the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will make a payment to the Legends of Algonac project prior to the unveiling of the statues in Algonac on June 27th, 2010.

I think it would be great if the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club could be the largest single donor to this effort. Please donate here or by using the "Chip In" widget on our Club home page.

I know the economy is brutal. And I know there is no end to the number of organizations in need of funds. But, if you can find some spare change, please give this some thought. I am going to break the ice by putting in $50.00 now.

Chris Smith and Gar Wood deserve this!
Bill Basler

campjer

Post by campjer » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:35 pm

What a grand idea! I've matched your start Bill.
Cheers,
Jeremy Campbell

Current Projects:
'61 32' Connie
'61 45' Connie (RIP)
'50 42' DCFB

Wet Dreams:
'61 57' Connie

drrot

Post by drrot » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:46 pm

I'm in!
Jim Staib
www.finewoodboats.com

1947 Penn Yan 12' Cartopper WXH474611
1950 Chris-Craft 22' Sportsman U-22-1532
1957 Chris-Craft 26' Sea Skiff SK-26-515
1968 Century 17' Resorter FG-68-174

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Got it Jeremy. This is much appreciated. You know this gets a bit dicey helping raise funds for our own initiatives (ie: the archive) all the while raising funds for other initiatives, ie: Legends of Algonac.

But, this is one case where I think that the initiative will bring more attention to our hobby. Herb Pocklington is a Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club member and has been an active contributor in the Brass Bell.

This seems like the least we can do, to bring a bit of attention to the Legends of Algonac.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:47 pm

Thank you Jim. The ball is rolling! I am sure Herb will chime in at some point here.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:50 pm

And thanks to John and Kim Kadamik who just contributed as well.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:56 pm

And now Chad Durren comes in with a donation. Thank you Chad. Chris Smith and Gar Wood thank you.
Bill Basler

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:58 pm

Bill;

I support your post and Herb's project. When I first got a notice of the project I sent in a contribution without hesitation.

This is a great memorial and coming from one who got to visit Algonac and see what is left of the area it was a thrill. I recommend the trip if you ever get the chance. Just to stand in the old building was a great experience. I was lucky enough to also get a personal look at Miss America X. This boat was a sight to behold.

Here are some pics from that visit and thank you Bill for being so supportive.

Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:05 pm

Don, I feel like I need to do my two cents worth. I know, I know. On top of the Archive Fund, your church, your schools (who seem to need donations to buy scissors and glue), little Don's soccer team, etc, etc, there is no end to where we can stash our surplus income (tongue firmly in cheek here). After all, we've all got boats to restore!

But, seriously, I do think that this is a long overdue project which needs to happen. I cannot imagine the little town of Algonac without some significant recognition of these two legends.

Thanks to all who have donated thus far. I am going to leave someone out for sure. Sorry if I do. But now Ayers, Bjorn Bakken, and the legendary Al Benton have ponied up. We'll make Herb happy yet!
Bill Basler

Don Danenberg

Post by Don Danenberg » Sun May 02, 2010 11:45 pm

I, for one, am glad to see y'all are onboard.

I could not afford the "Smithsonite" level at the appropriate time; I may never live that down.

At least I matched what I gave to the CCABC archive fund.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon May 03, 2010 9:45 am

Thanks Don. Any donation is appreciated. Every dollar is important. To date we have pulled in $975.00. This is wonderful especially given this has been collected in just a few short days.

The memorial is going to be quite grand. Standing at over 7-feet tall, the statues will be cast in bronze (what else?). The figures are being sculpted as I write this by artist Sergei Mitrofanov. Below you will find a sneak peek at the progress. Chris Smith's facial features have not been addressed on this mock. Mitrofanov will also be putting engineering documents in Chris' hands.

The statues will be unveiled at a site adjoining the Algonac Historic Museum, on the shores of the St Clair River on Sunday June 27th at 1 PM. The Michigan ACBS is planning an emotional event and show that weekend, June 25th-27th. If you own a Chris Craft or Gar Wood, this is a once in a lifetime event. After all it's were it all began.

As I mentioned before, spearheading donations is never easy. And yes, the economy could certainly be better for all of us. But that darn Herb Pocklington is fearless, and quite a motivator. Can we find another $1,000 to donate this week?
Bill Basler

pauldfulton

Post by pauldfulton » Mon May 03, 2010 4:23 pm

I chipped in 10 Bucks, not much but something, blowing all my money on sandpaper these days. It was very easy to use the "chip in" button, even for a crusty curmudgeon like me hope to visit Algonac someday!

campjer

Post by campjer » Mon May 03, 2010 4:31 pm

Don and/or Bill,

Assuming this hasn't been thought of yet - but is the sculptor able to cast a miniature mold, something either the size of keychains or maybe a paperweight (or both), that could be sold at the event and through the Chandlery online?

Just a thought.
Cheers,
Jeremy Campbell

Current Projects:
'61 32' Connie
'61 45' Connie (RIP)
'50 42' DCFB

Wet Dreams:
'61 57' Connie

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Mon May 03, 2010 4:35 pm

That is a really cool idea. I have not heard of that but it should be mentioned to Herb. I'd buy one for my bookself etc.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

campjer

Post by campjer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:19 pm

I'm wondering who all from the club is going to be in attendance at the unveiling on the Detroit River? I'm heading down from the far end of L.Ontario - and while I won't have my lady in the water for it, I'll be there in person...

If you're planning on going, please let the club know - I'm looking forward to meeting some of you in person.
Cheers,
Jeremy Campbell

Current Projects:
'61 32' Connie
'61 45' Connie (RIP)
'50 42' DCFB

Wet Dreams:
'61 57' Connie

campjer

Post by campjer » Tue Jun 08, 2010 7:21 pm

Sorry - I "think" it's on the St. Clair River... If anyone has an exact address - please post :)
Cheers,
Jeremy Campbell

Current Projects:
'61 32' Connie
'61 45' Connie (RIP)
'50 42' DCFB

Wet Dreams:
'61 57' Connie

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Jun 09, 2010 2:54 pm

This will be at, or in the vicinity of the Algonac Clay Historical Society museum.

Algonac Clay Historical Society
www.algonac-clay-history.com
1240 Saint Clair River Drive
Algonac, MI 48001
(810) 794-9015
Bill Basler

Jim Godlewski

Post by Jim Godlewski » Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:22 am

[quote="campjer"]I'm wondering who all from the club is going to be in attendance at the unveiling on the Detroit River? I'm heading down from the far end of L.Ontario - and while I won't have my lady in the water for it, I'll be there in person...

If you're planning on going, please let the club know - I'm looking forward to meeting some of you in person.[/quote

I am not yet sure If I can make the dedication yet but I will be at the boat show on Saturday at the Algonac Harbour Club. I hope everyone in the area can make this show. Should be around 100 boats registered.
Here is a link to the schedule of events.
http://www.michacbs.com/index.php?optio ... &Itemid=20
Jim
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:24 am

Well the date is finally here! This coming weekend in Algonac, Michigan, the Legends of Algonac statue will be unveiled and dedicated. This dedicated caps more than a year of hard work by Herb Pocklington and his team of fundraisers.

The stature has been cast in bronze, ground smooth and is currently being polished and moved into position.

Congratulations Herb. Your dream is becoming reality on Sunday at 1:00.

Gar Wood & Chris Smith with the Smith-built miss Detroit Gar raced to victory in the twenties.

Logan Wood, Gar's great nephew will represent the Wood family. pictured here at the helm of Miss America X

Chris Smith, grandson of Christopher Smith will be there representing the Smith family.

Many members of the Wood family and Smith family will be in attendance. This will truly be a historic event, especially within our vintage boat hobby.

It's not too late to make plans. If you're able, this will be well worth your while.
Bill Basler

Wilson Wright

Legends

Post by Wilson Wright » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:08 am

Bill:

Sounds great...Know you'll enjoy talking to all the Smiths and Woods while you are there...Wish I were in a position to go with you..
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

campjer

Post by campjer » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:05 am

I'll be there. If anyone from the club sees a 30'ish guy walking around with both a stills and HD camera - come say hello - it's me :)
Cheers,
Jeremy Campbell

Current Projects:
'61 32' Connie
'61 45' Connie (RIP)
'50 42' DCFB

Wet Dreams:
'61 57' Connie

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:39 am

I will also be there just getting the 20' Custom ready for the drive down. Come by Waterlogged and say hello, Mike
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout