Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hardware Exchange

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Hardware Exchange

Post by Al Benton » Sun Sep 30, 2007 9:59 pm

I am posting photos of some of the misc. hardware that was obtained from Peter Schoor of Pensacola, FL. He asked me to find someone that can use it. Thus, if you see something you need, PM your mailing address to me and I'll package and mail it to you. The only thing I ask in exchange is for you to consider sending a gift to the Chris Craft Antique Boat Club.

In doing so, you benefit by having something you need, the Club may benefit by your generosity and I definitely benefit by knowing you have something you need and by fulfilling my promise to Peter.

Here's some of it. I'm fairly certain that it's cast bronze except the SS vents:

Left: Small Cruiser Vents, #3625 & #3627, chromed castings, 6-1/4L x 3-1/4"W Base, 7-1/2"H.
Center: Vents, (no number), Polished SS, 6"L x 5-3/8"W x 2"H.
Right: Vents, PERKO 3, 5-3/4"L x 4"W x 1-1/2"H.

Upper Left: Cabin Roof Vent w/ Screen, (can't read number), chrome casting, 7"L x 7"W x 3-1/2"H.
Upper Center: Fairlander, #756, chromed casting, 4-1/2"L x 5-1/4"W x 1-1/2"H.
Right: Tear Drop Trim Ring, #3511, chromed casting, 6-1/4"L x 2-1/2"W x 3/8"H.
Center Bottom: Pair of Flush Vents, (no numbers), chromed castings, 6-5/8"L x 2-1/4"W x 7/8"H.
Lower Left: Bow Handle/Ring?, (no number), chromed casting, 9"L x 2-1/4"H.

Bottom: Cleat, (no number), chromed casting, 7-1/2"L x 2-1/2"W x 2"H.
Top: Stern Pole Socket (Elec), (no number), chromed casting, 3" dia., about 20 deg. angle.
Right: Hatch Rail Hdwr., (no numbers), chromed castings, 2"W x 1-1/8"L x 2-1/8"H, 7/8" tubing.

Upper Right: Vent, (no number), chromed casting, 8-1/4"L x 6"W x 3-3/4"H. (one only).
Other items are described above.

If you see something you need, PM your address to me and it will be packed and mailed. Although there's no obligation, please consider an appropriate gift to the Club. Thanks,

Al

Oct. 1, The Bow Handle w/ Ring, the Cleat and the Hatch Rail Hardware are now spoken for. I'll get them mailed. Thanks.
Last edited by Al Benton on Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

jfrprops

idea

Post by jfrprops » Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:41 am

Al,

Thanks for putting the pix of that hardware on the site.

It seems to me that we ought to figure out a way to have a category on the site for boats in peril and boats being scraped or burned or buried. The big cruisers were on lifesupport before the run up in gas prices, now they are DOA unless special or highend condition. Gas is never going to come down. The Cruiser crisis is upon us...they are the horse and buggy of antique boats. I know for a fact that here in Va. we have boats being cut up and burned every week. Perhaps members that see such boats could write in and we could list the type and location and contact info so that members could save hardware or take pix or pull CC tags for ID later as deceased boats????
Just an idea, I know not how to implement, but you do.
John in Va.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:05 am

John, that would be quite an undertaking (no pun intended). Mostly around here they are stripped before burned or dozed under but hull numbers and tags are probably gone for good.

Al

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Oct 01, 2007 10:50 am

John, thanks for the comments. Yes, I do agree that this would be a good idea. I know of this problem very well. I probably receive 5-10 calls per week from a person or a party needing to find a home (always quickly) for an old cruiser. The story is always the same. It's a great old boat. I'd give it away for next to nothing....or...just pay the storage fees, and it's yours. Unfortunately what follows, is the boat needs to be moved by Friday. Ouch.

We are losing cruisers at an alarming rate. Myhat is off to anyone who has taken the initiative to buy, resurrect, and care for one of these bigger boats.

I think the best place for a "Boat Shelter/Adoption" list would be out on the Club site where the entire universe could have free access to the info. I will give this some thought. I would also like to encourage any and all of you...if you know of a boat like John is referring to, place the info out on TradingDock.org. Our own online site is doing great things in getting sellers and buyers together. There are over 40 boats that have been sold directly from TradingDock.org. I am pretty proud of this for a site that is just getting started. there is a lot of potential here.

Finally, the other component that you are referring to John, probably falls into the "Hull Database" category. Tracking deceased boat will be something that a well-crafted hull database could do well. This will be the next initiative after we get the online archive matured a bit

Al, thanks for posting the parts. Let's find a good home for them.
Bill Basler

farupp

Post by farupp » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:09 pm

Maybe part of the answer to this is to work out something with the publication, Bone Yard Boats. A local here in Charleston, David Irving, owns this wonderful publication, and it does exactly what is outlined above.

If anyone is intereseted, his email is [email protected] and the web site is http://www.boneyardboats.com/

We support him, he supports us.

Frank
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:19 pm

Frank, yes you are correct. Bone yard Boats was started by a club member of ours, Ginger Martus, who sold the enterprise to David. You are correct in stating that Bone Yard Boats has been doing just that for a number of years.

This is a good reminder. I will call David and figure out ways that we can collaborate.
Bill Basler

farupp

Post by farupp » Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:24 pm

Thanks, Bill I sent an email to David earlier about the discussion so he, hopefully, will be thinking about it, too.

Thanks again.
Frank
Frank Rupp

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Oct 01, 2007 5:34 pm

FRANK, speaking of old cruisers "missing in action", has something happened to yours? No Avatar? ..."lookin for another one"?

Al

Frank, so sorry, it's the OMS (old-man syndrome).

farupp

Post by farupp » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:43 am

Hey, Al.

I sold the '49 27 foot CC cruiser about six weeks ago to an enthusiast in KY. So. I'm "looking for another one."

I have found a very nice 1978 CC fiberglass Cavalier Cutlass Cuddy Cabin that I am very interested in. Repowered with a Mercruiser and only four hours on the new engine package.

I plan on looking at it in the next few weeks. It would be a great boat for Charleston.

Thanks for asking, Al. Did you ever figure out why your engine overheated this past summer?

Frank
Frank Rupp

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Oct 03, 2007 8:37 am

Frank,
That had to be tough, kind of like parting with an old friend. Are the wood boat withdrawal symptoms hard to shake off? An old runabout that needs some TLC and your expertise could cure that easy enough.

The Cavalier would be nice for your location with literally miles and miles of inland and inter-coastal waterways to enjoy. When my wife retires I would like to sell her on the idea of relocating to the Charleston area. It wouldn't be a hard sell.

My boat is still idle, too many distractions lately. We plan to concentrate on the problem next week after my daughter's twin girls are delivered.

Al

P.S. ALL: Check out the items at the beginning of this thread. If you need it, I'll send it.

farupp

Post by farupp » Wed Oct 03, 2007 1:09 pm

Thanks, Al.

I have identical twin boys, now 18 years old. Buy some stock in Budweiser and a good wine company. Then buy the product and give it to your son-in-law and daughter every once in a while. They'll appreciate it!

And, save some for yourself.
Frank Rupp

WoodenRookie

What Frank said

Post by WoodenRookie » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:30 pm

I've got identical twin boys that are a month away from 10. We ran out of the beer & wine years ago. Frank did you find what your looking the one you were looking for?

farupp

Post by farupp » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:35 pm

I believe I did find my next Chris Craft. See several posts above.

My kids weren't too bad at 10, wait till the get about 16!!

You'll start your own beer and wine company, or do a lot of testing at the Bud plant.
Frank Rupp

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Oct 03, 2007 6:51 pm

Bill & Frank, mine will be twin Grand Daughters which means I'll have the best of both worlds. I'll get to enjoy their company occasionally but they'll be going home to mom (my daughter) & dad mostly.

Al

P.S. See you tomorrow, Bill.