Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Sold my Connie

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

bobbystone

Sold my Connie

Post by bobbystone » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:36 pm

After about 15 years, I finally sold my 1958 48' Constellation. That thing they say about "the day you sell your boat being the second happiest day" is a crock! I feel like I lost my best dog. The new owner is a good friend and will take good care of her, and you guys will probably see him on here soon enough. But I wanted to reach out and say "THANK YOU" to all the members for all the help, advice and encouragement I've received from this board over the years. You guys are truly a font of knowledge, and incredibly generous. Thanks a million!

Bobby Stone
1958 48' Constellation
Twin 454's with Paragon Transmissions
Hull No. : X-48-107

RRGadow

Re: Sold my Connie

Post by RRGadow » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:00 am

:( Why did you sell it?
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:38 am

Well, Ryan and others, I guess the gentleman sold it because it was just time....and time will rule over us all.

I too am facing a crisis of conscience and will......what does an aging man do with his aging cruiser?

The dog loss analogy is the one I use all the time....how can you get rid of your old dog....your faithful companion....

?

I am going to fight on....but I totally respect those who call a truce and step out......I totally agree with and understand the feelings expressed by bobbystone..... seeing your baby go to a good home is crucial .....wish I could find such an individual.

Going boating....after extensive repairs......!!!

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:15 pm

Bobby Stone: We hope you hang around and chat with us even though you did have to let her go. If you choose to leave us you will be missed.

What about a smaller boat?
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

ClassOf56

Post by ClassOf56 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:52 pm

Hopefully he is a good enough friend that you will still get visiting rights...

Besides, I am sure he will have a million questions over the next few years, and you will be called in as the consultant!
Steve A
1956 18' Chris-Craft Continental

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:31 pm

I guess I may not be the only one that feels this way.....but if I sold or gave away my old cruiser....I don't think I would ever want to lay eyes on her again....just couldn't hardly stand it.....weird I guess....but that day approaches....

John in va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

tkhersom

Post by tkhersom » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:05 pm

John: You are full of it! You have many years left in you. :D

Do you want some cheese with that whine?
Troy in ANE - Former President CCABC

1957 CC 21' Continental "Yorktown" (Mom's boat)
https://www.chris-craft.org/boats/22625/
1985 Formula 242LS "Gottago"
1991 Formula 36PC "Band Aids"

Life Is Too Short To Own An Ugly Boat

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Thu Sep 03, 2015 7:41 pm

I felt the same way when I sold mine only to feel the tug to get anther one. Weeks after I would think of what was needed to remember it was gone. Perhaps he will be back with something manageable???
1959 40' Connie "Lucky Girl" saga of a free boat!

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Thu Sep 03, 2015 8:42 pm

Troy,

Keeping leaning on me Troy! I have determined to make the all out effort and support of the group will be crucial....

Only whine on my boat is the paragons.....but that is another day/story!!!

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

bobbystone

Post by bobbystone » Fri Sep 11, 2015 4:16 pm

I'll still be lurking! It was just time. Decided to get something I could do some traveling in with less worry!
1958 48' Constellation
Twin 454's with Paragon Transmissions
Hull No. : X-48-107

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Sep 13, 2015 6:20 pm

Well, Bobby, I know the feeling all too well, having found a new care taker for our baby Connie (1960, 27'). We built some great memories cruising The Mississippi in her for several years. Of course, we spent our fair share of time maintaining her in home port too. But, of course, it all added up to developing a very close connection with that beautiful chunk of lovin' mahogany.

I see her from the Alton bridge occasionally (and she looks great) but have not gone to the marina where she now resides. She's obviously in good hands. The new care-taker and his lovely wife live 5 minutes from the marina and thoroughly enjoy having her close to home. They have invited us to visit with them, and her, but so far I cant bring myself to take them up on their offers; best to move on, knowing that she has developed a wonderful connection with her new family.

Holy Cow! How's that for a sob story (but true). Pass the tissues please.
Al
Member - Executive Team

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:16 pm

Well Al, I understand completely......this weekend I made the big move...faced up to my age and downsized to a true glassic, I bought a 1980 Fairchild Scout 30....reproduction of a 1930's elco...a beautiful pocket trawler with dream world access to all systems! Now I must get rid of my 1966 Chris Craft cavalier seastrake.....some of us are working up a solution: namely the "free to a good home cruiser essay contest".......in 25 words or less tell me why you walk the walk and talk the talk and want this classic cruiser and she is your's.....free. You pay transport .....tons of spare parts also...... More to follow on t his plan....will post soon.

condition one: get her out of my sight.....can't bear to see her......needed to move on......twenty one years of devotion and stewardship.....tough call.....right call.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 7:29 pm

The talk of giving the boat away and being too old is not helpful to the hobby... Make up a story that some one offer you more than you thought is was worth and you could not pass it up.

In most cases, like mine, it would only take a six pack of good Belgium beer! :P

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:02 pm

naw it is not age it is just time.....there is guy in his mid eighties at our marina that just had brand new 250 hp mercs put on his grady white......age is not factor......it is just time.....
I don't drink but if that six pack offer applies....you can have the boat and I will pass along the suds
John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30

BrokenRule2

Post by BrokenRule2 » Sun Sep 13, 2015 8:45 pm

I'll have to pass, one free boat per month is my limit :?

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Sep 13, 2015 9:41 pm

I can't say for a fact that age didn't have anything to do with my decision. I'm only 73 and feel that I could still keep up with most 50 year old guys, but! The time had come to start thinking about finding someone to take the helm. That opportunity actually came to me upon returning from Tavares, FL a couple or three years ago. I drove out to check on her and found a note on the helm from a secret admirer. The note said "I have admired your Chris-Craft on the river for years. When you're ready to sell her, call", I did.

I certainly wouldn't discourage anyone at any age from taking on the responsibility of keeping an old wooden cruiser afloat, especially a Chris-Craft, as long as they know what they are getting into. If they are willing and able, and have the resources, by all means, do it.
Al
Member - Executive Team