Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Hessel Boat Show

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

kcupido

Hessel Boat Show

Post by kcupido » Fri Aug 08, 2008 11:37 am

Vintage Boat Enthusiasts:

Is anyone up here in the cool, rainy north going to the Hessel Boat Show? It's tomorrow, Saturday, August 9th.
Its the only boat show closest to me to be able to attend without an over nighter.
Next year, hopefully, I will be able to get away to a further, larger show.
By the way... Hessel is in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan... if you haven't heard of it :wink:

Keith

Don Danenberg

Hessel Boat show

Post by Don Danenberg » Fri Aug 08, 2008 7:07 pm

You have stumbled upon the best Antique and Classic boat show in the country.
The site of the first Chris-Craft dealership.

The Les Cheneaux Islands are the main reason that most wooden runabouts like Hacker, Gar Wood, Chris-Craft, Century, etc., were built in Michigan.

Aside from the 150+ boats in the show, there are another few hundred still in their boathouses around the islands.

You have heard of a 'bigger' show?

You will not find a more knowledgeable crowd of experienced antique boat owners and devotees, as well as a more rounded collection of important boats.

See you there?

Wilson Wright

Hessel

Post by Wilson Wright » Sat Aug 09, 2008 7:59 am

Look for Mt. Dora's Tom and Mary Flood. they have a summer place up there.

Upon inquiring as to why so many U-22's up there a local replied, "They are our answer to a Ford 150...We use them to haul everything to the islands."

It is also interesting to see everyone arrive on Saturday AM, get in place for the one day show and then all leave at the same time around $:30 and head home.

Don't miss the Lions (I think) Club pancake breakfast.

Finding a place to stay nearby is not easy. Plan ahead.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

campjer

Post by campjer » Sat Aug 09, 2008 5:53 pm

I hope you grab a lot of photos Keith. I can't wait to get into a show like that - though I think I need another year of restoration before my confident is ready for that :). Closest show to me is up the Trent River in Hastings... I think it's next weekend.

I'm accidentally involved (dead at dock in Kingston, Ontario) in North America's #1 Poker Run. These docks are hopping with people hear to see all these million dollar Baja's, Scarab's and the such... then at the very end of millionaires row sits this gorgeous '61 32' Connie :). Amazing the number of people coming to check her out!
Cheers,
Jeremy Campbell

Current Projects:
'61 32' Connie
'61 45' Connie (RIP)
'50 42' DCFB

Wet Dreams:
'61 57' Connie

ed laning

Post by ed laning » Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:42 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with Don about the Hessel show; it's my favorite. Also, it's a very scenic area of the country with very pristine waterways. Everywhere you happen to look you see old woodies that are often unrestored but look great and in daily operation. We trailer our Whaler up to there; the second most popular type of boat for that area. I couldn't make it this year but I hope someone took lots of pics. Ed
1978 22' CC Dory outboard

cc_holiday

Post by cc_holiday » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:49 am

Here's a few shots ...... nice show, rained hard at 11:30!!

Mark & Marilyn
1962 CC 20' Holiday 312 Interceptor
Shop www.drdecal.com

ed laning

Post by ed laning » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:08 am

Mark - Thanks for the pics of the show; they're great! - Ed
1978 22' CC Dory outboard

dragonfly

hessel show

Post by dragonfly » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:15 pm

Gotta a question. How would I register for next years show, or can you come up and put your boat in w/out being judged?
1955 18'CC Sea Skiff & 1959 18' Mercury Sabre

Don Danenberg

Post by Don Danenberg » Sun Aug 10, 2008 1:41 pm

I'm sure that the show is listed in Classic Boating and Brass Bell calenders.

A great many of the show participants attend the Traverse City show the weekend before, then go rent a cottage in Hessel and spend the entire week there.
It is a resort destination.
www.lescheneaux.net/
www.lescheneaux.org/

Most WaterWonderland chapter events like the Poker Run, chapter picnic, and island dinners happen the few days before the Saturday Judging.
Its pretty much a week long party before the show, actually, summer-long for many.

You can be in the show and choose not to be judged.

As mentioned earlier, there are hundreds of boats, in their boathouses around the 36 islands, that don't spiff up for show, but are still the grocery wagon the gets the island dwellers to the mainland. Life like it was when these boats were first built.

This year's show was not filled to the brim as usual, due to weather concerns. I'll have to get a count on the boats.
It was a georgeous sunny day, then a Florida-like line squall marched across with winds and heavy rain, then 20-minutes later it was sunny blue skies again.

cc_holiday

Post by cc_holiday » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:56 pm

Here's another show that is great, it just started, was the second annual car/boat show 7/5, East Jordan MI on Lake Charlevoix, here's a few pic's and the web site for info: www.southarmclassicboats.com

Mark & Marilyn
Shop www.drdecal.com

Wilson Wright

Hessel

Post by Wilson Wright » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:30 pm

The locals do a tour of the islands the day before the show...If you know one you might get invited.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

mcisaac inc

Post by mcisaac inc » Sun Aug 10, 2008 8:46 pm

:D here are some more pics of hessel boat show week 08'........mark .... by the way, the 72' trumphy pictured above is owned by richard merilot of merilot cabinetry. the boats floats year around in heated boat house on lake charlevoix.....

cc_holiday

Post by cc_holiday » Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:08 pm

Merilot's boat house and home are ......well, it's a site to see, will be in magazines for sure when its completed.
Mark & Marilyn
Shop www.drdecal.com

kcupido

Post by kcupido » Tue Aug 12, 2008 7:23 am

Hessel was the show that inspired me to get into wooden boats. Dad had always loved these boats as he had many a job in the '40's working on and delivering them for the locals who could afford to own one.
Last year was my first show in 5 or 6 years where I caught the bug to buy my own boat. Bought a Connie, but still would love to own a utility or runabout.
Thanks for posting the pics of the show as my Dad and I were unable to attend the show due to a death in the family.
There will always be next year.

Keith