Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

It's a shame what they did to this one!

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:15 pm

It's doubtful it's a '34 model. Looks to me like it may have started out as a '39 - '42, 19' Custom, hard to tell. If it's history is gone (hull number, nameplates) how can they even link it to an old Bogart movie? What a shame!

Centuryjack

Post by Centuryjack » Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:55 am

Jim's post is blank? What are you guys looking at?
Jack Schneiberg
Jackson, WI

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:40 am

Clcik on the caption
Bill Basler

Centuryjack

Post by Centuryjack » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:51 am

Thanks! I did. EEEH BOY! Looked at the questions in the Q & A section too - a little bavarian stubborness apparent there too (I can say that - I'm one too)

I wonder who came up with the concept of those downspout tailpipes? I think I got a pair of those under my bathroom sink
Jack Schneiberg
Jackson, WI

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:57 am

I remember a few photos of this boat being circulated a couple years back. As I recall, it was being touted as all original then...and still is today! Geesh.
Bill Basler

Centuryjack

Post by Centuryjack » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:04 am

Well, the debate will go on - always, I guess about whether to restore or "resto-replicate", customize or make as original as possible - and I guess in the end the adage that rules is "Its my boat and I can damn well do what I please with it" stands.

Thus; have more than a few 4 wheel classics also gone to their orignal grave.
Jack Schneiberg
Jackson, WI

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:03 am

Hopefully, Jack, that isn't "the adage that rules". I think the ACBS, CCABC and other clubs are doing well at changing attitudes to preservation and restoration. There are those that will continue to "spoil" the history of antique and classic boats (as in this example). It's still a matter of education, some folks just don't realize what they're doing, but there are still some that just don't care.

Al

P.S. I have a feeling these folks know full well this boat's history (that its hull number indeed begins with 48XXX) but to reveal it would spoil their own story.

goertz

Post by goertz » Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:25 pm

There is a real danger here, that only now are people beginning to realize. Due to our crappy dollar, wonderful pieces of American history, boats, cars, buses, etc., are being snatched up by Europeans, and shipped over there.

Over the past six months, there has been a tremendous surge in exporting classic American vehicles overseas, because it's now cheap for them to do so. I collect classic cars, buses, etc. Everytime I put a GTO or something along those lines for sale in eBay, Craigslist, etc., all the people contacting me are from Sweden, Germany, etc. They can afford our stuff now. Of course, we sell to them, because their money is green, and it's here and now, but in return, a piece of our American heritage just left, and will never return.

If I have some run of the mill car for sale, I'll let it go overseas. If it's a special car, rare, etc., I won't sell it to them. I'm not going to let a piece of Americana go overseas because their dollar is stronger than ours.

This is happening at an ALARMING rate. It's not just a fluke thing, they are buying up tons of our classic items.

Twice now, I've delivered cars to a shipping port. These huge staging areas have over 100 classic cars, boats, etc. all waiting to go overseas. I was talking to one guy who ran the place, he said that all 100+ of these cars are going to Sweden this week. By this time next week, the yard will be full again. Some of the stuff I saw there....1969 Dodge Charger General Lee, 1956 Pontiac Safai wagon (about 1100 made), numerous 1960's corvettes, 1970 Pontiac GTO Judge Ram Air IV, and the list goes on and on.

drrot

Post by drrot » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:26 am

Looking closer it seems to have started as a 1939. Has 1 piece covering boards, Hogs snout fairleader, and instruments in a panel. Maybe it was a war casualty?
Still a shame!!

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:06 am

Jim, I just looked at the link for this auction. Before it ended the seller did revise the description to admit it's actually a 19' barrel built between '39 & '42. They didn't change the title nor post the actual hull number.

Al