Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

14" ivalight

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the hardware on your classic fiberglass Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

decsdad

14" ivalight

Post by decsdad » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:03 am

as i love the look of the light and it's functions, i've been patiently searching. i luckily came across a 14" ivalight today in excellent condition and fully functioning.

any opinions on if this massive beauty would look like a sore thumb atop my little 17' corsair?
'70 17' Corsair 327Q

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:47 am

Chris Craft offered a spotlight as an option on the 69-70 Ski Boat. I am not sure of the model or size but I have seen photos....maybe check the Wiki. I think the pictures in the brochure may have a light on that boat.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

decsdad

Post by decsdad » Fri Mar 16, 2012 2:20 pm

unfortunatley, i lost contact info of a guy selling a '69 ski boat somewhere in montana a couple years back. his had an ivalight on it but i'm not sure of the size. in a perfect world i would have found the 10" model instead of the 14" that fell into my lap. as pretty as it is, it just seems a bit large for a small boat. anyone reading that is interested in a possible trade for a 10" cable operated, there is a pretty one here for you to consider.
'70 17' Corsair 327Q

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:06 pm

When I looked back at Wilson's boat, it looks like he has the factory installed spotlight. He could probably measure it for you.

The one in Montana may be the one that is in the photo in the ACBS Rudder magazine. There was a group of folks that took a week long trip on the Snake River or Colorado or some river out west.

I also noticed that both Wilson's boat and yours have trim tabs. I bet they make a big difference. Anytime the boat has extra weight in the back, it wants to bounce up and down even in calm water. As soon as you bring a little weight up front, it rides smoothly again. I thought of adding a little larger wedge to the current factory wedge set up.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

decsdad

Post by decsdad » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:36 am

when i got the boat the trim tabs were not working and embarrassing as it is to admit, i put off checking into it for the short amount of summer i had. i'm sure it's just a fuse. no garage has me waiting a bit longer to fix the issue.
the "original low hours motor" was anything but and scary welded riser scars had me bring it in for new risers costing precious sunny days. the dummy mechanic, spray painted over the chris craft tags with blue paint. i almost killed him. so now i have an ugly under the doghouse.
i didn't notice a lot of bounce with weight in the back but i did notice that the boat handles poorly with NO weight in the back. two adults in the front and she is slow to turn sharp. have the person move from front to back and bam, perfect handling. i'm on a small oval lake so there is hardly a straight stretch. but the tabs should be fun to play around with when some of the bigger guys get on.
as to wilson's picture, i can tell now that it is a different base therefore probably shorter. either way, i have a great condition light for someone if i choose not to use it.
thanks for all your replies. hopefully i'll be in your neck of the woods someday and take a peek at the project. the engine looks great.
'70 17' Corsair 327Q