Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Sound insulation board

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Vogt, Al Benton, Don Ayers

jwoldeboat

Sound insulation board

Post by jwoldeboat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:51 am

I need to replace the engine sound insulation board that is behind the rear seat of my 21' Capri and have not been able to find similar material. I think in some of the research I have done it was originally made by Celotex but not sure. I have seen very similar material used in a lot of the old lake "camp/cottages" here in New Hampshire for wall paneling and it was was called "Beaver Board" Not sure if this is the same as what Chris Craft used.I have looked at "Homosote" sound board at the local lumber yard and it seems very different and dense.Any thoughts or ideas on what to use and where to get it would be greatly appreciated !! Joe Williams

farupp

Post by farupp » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:19 am

Joe, take a look at these topics from a while back. Maybe they will help:

http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=3851

http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/v ... php?t=2536
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:30 am

Here's another Link to a thread that talks about "brown sound board" available from Tahoe Truckee Lumber in Tahoe City, CA.

Al

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sun Feb 21, 2010 11:33 am

Frank;

Thanks for the post. The correct stuff is made in Canada and is sold through certain hardware stores. It is brown in color and has a fiber like texture.

I actually ordered mine from a hardware outfit in Tahoe City CA and shipping it to OK. I got six 4x8 sheets so I would have a supply for a while. The stuff at my local Lowes and Home depot is not the correct looking stuff for our boats so no luck there.

I can't remember the name of the company that makes it off the top of my head.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

jwoldeboat

soundboard material

Post by jwoldeboat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:06 pm

Frank,Al and Don, Thanks very much for the info on the soundboard material,will search for a supplier for the coarse fiber material which is what seemed to be what the original was .As I remember it it was a "whiteish" color on the engine side and "brownish " color on the seat back side Will post any info I find
Joe

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:13 pm

Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

jwoldeboat

soundboard material

Post by jwoldeboat » Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:11 pm

Don, Thanks for the pictures of the soundboard material,that looks just like what I had,coarse texture and brownish color