Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Our 1930 Model 123

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft history? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Don Vogt, Al Benton

chlobear

Our 1930 Model 123

Post by chlobear » Sun Jul 20, 2008 3:10 pm

In 1950 my father, Ed Crosby, purchased a 1930 model 123 48 foot communter from Robert Cartmell of Middlebury, Vermont. Mr. Cartmell bought it from the Brown Oil Co. in New York City and brought it to Lake Champlain in 1949. We owned the Artemis, as it was named at that time for 16 years. The boat changed hands a couple of times and at last known it was owned by Robert Lavalley of Montreal who kept it in Florida. We understand he has sold this 123- now named Allez- and would love to know its present location and ownership.
Thanks, Ed

Wilson Wright

48' Commuter

Post by Wilson Wright » Mon Jul 21, 2008 8:22 am

I saw Allez at Pier 66 in Ft. Lauderdale once. I think her owner is still a member of the club. Bill Basler would know.

Mike Matheson in Miami or N.C. depending on season, might know...He kept track of all the 38 footers at one time.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:06 am

Ed, please go to the online Archive at: www.chris-craft.org/archive . Try a search for "Allez". There you will find a bit of information about Allez, and the 48 Commuters in general.
Bill Basler

FBCMontreal

Allez

Post by FBCMontreal » Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:03 am

Good day,

I'm in touch with the present owner of the Allez, let me know if you are still looking for the boat.

Simon Lebrun
Director
Montreal Classic Boat Festival

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:58 am

I think we are down to two or three of the 48 footers left. The one that was in FL in bad shape ended up gettting dozed. Very sad no one could save it!!!
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Oberon01

48' Motor Yachts

Post by Oberon01 » Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:48 am

There was one for sale last year (Wanderlust?)on E-Bay and elsewhere for around $40k, that had been in storage since 1980, but required a full restoration. there was some chatter on the board here concerning it. Is that the one that got plowed? That would be a shame, but clearly funding such a restoration is not a particulaarly remunerative endeavour. I don't think it was in Florida, NE US I believe. Let's hope someone saved it.

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:31 pm

That one, Wonderlust, is not the one I was talking about. I think Basler knows what happended with that one after the e-bay thing.
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:33 pm

Wanderlust, (search the online archive for Wanderlust) was this particular 48-footer's original name according to factory records.

She was Hull #6004, Model number 123

A-120s Numbers 500 & 501
Shipped from the factory on 7-18-1931

She was the boat on eBay about a year or so ago. She was rumored to have been purchased by several investors from the Lake Hopatcong area.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:40 pm

Back to the original posting about Mr. Crosby's old boat. I just received this email from a Boat Buzz onlooker:

+++++++++

I am a former owner of the 1929 communtor yacht Allez.

Some days ago, I went on line to your web page. I think someone by the name of Crosby was looking to find out the present wherabouts of this yacht. I cannot provide this information to your member.

On the other hand, Mr. Crosby may want to know some extra information which I could provide him with for the year 1975 and from 1984 to 1988 when I owned her and sold her to Mr. Lavalle.

If so, he could contact me at [email protected] till the 5th of february or [email protected] and I would gladly share the information i have.

Yours truly,

Jean-Claude Favreau
Last edited by Bill Basler on Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:40 am

Follow up from prior owner

+++++++++

When I had the oportunity to own her, she was almost original. Her former owner even though with limited recourse had saved her from total destruction and with a lot of love brought her back to her former look. Whenever Mr. Richard Metcalfe and I comunicated we always referred to her as our boat. She owned us, we never owned her.

The last time I saw her she had been transformed and unfortunately although this had been achieved with a lot money she had lost her soul. She was no more the Artemis I had known then the Allez pictured in the biography of the Chris Craft Cie.

The Artemis was not really a Chris Craft but a remnant of Chris Smith. Believe me she had a life of her own.

Thanking you for giving me this opotunity,

Yours truly,

Jean-Claude Favreau
Bill Basler

chlobear

Allez-Artemis

Post by chlobear » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:49 pm

My thanks to all who responded to my request for information on our 48 foot commuter Artemis. She has been located under caring ownership in Canada under her original name Allez. Thanks again, Ed Crosby

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:33 pm

Ed, the prior noted in the above posts may be intersted in knowing Allez,' whereabouts. Do you think you could make contact with Mr. Favreau? I f not please pass along the current owner info ands I will contact Mr. Favreau.

He has a tremendous sentimental attachment to this old Commuter.
Bill Basler

chlobear

Allez-Artemis

Post by chlobear » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:05 pm

Hi Bill- I have tried to get in contact with Jean-Claude with no results, the email keeps getting bounced. Hopefully he will read this and correct it. Ed Crosby

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:15 pm

Ed, depending on when you tried to reach him, and via which email address, he did follow up with an email that he had mistyped his email address.

He can be reached at: [email protected] (with a dot (.) after jocly)

I edited the email address noted above, but this was several days after my original post.
Bill Basler

sagaboat

Post by sagaboat » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:19 pm

Bill

My name is Ed Scott and I own hull # 5050 a 38' commuter now called Saga that is completely restored and is at Sierra Boat Co in Lake Tahoe. I read with great interest the interchange on the 48" commuter which as I understand there were only 3 made and delivered?
First is there a list of all the Commuters still left?
Second Do you know if Allez is for sale and its condition?
Ed

Wilson Wright

Commuters

Post by Wilson Wright » Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:50 am

Mike Matheson one owned "Tradition" and at the time had a list of the known 38' Commuter owners.

There was a fairly recent Brass Bell story on the 48's butas I recall it omitted discussion on one of them. One 48' was recently destroyed but it wasn't Allez.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club