Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Pre war Chris Craft welting/Piping configuration?

Leather, Tolex or Russaloid. Linoleum or black rubber matting. If it's in the cockpit or in the cabin, post your questions and answers here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

joe.rosenfeld

Pre war Chris Craft welting/Piping configuration?

Post by joe.rosenfeld » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:33 am

I am interested to know where the welting was on pre war, 1939 17’ deluxe utility cushions. All 4 sides top? top and bottom? just the sides? I have gleaned some information from previous Boat Buzz posts . Squinting at the pictures in the Essential guide and photos from the Mariners Museum hasn’t quite got there, some of the photos almost look like drop fronts with welding on the sides , others look like just the top? Any information is appreciated
Thanks Joe

Matt Smith

Re: Pre war Chris Craft welting/Piping configuration?

Post by Matt Smith » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:59 am

Hi Joe, since no expert has replied, I will try. Sorry. The question is kinda confusing. The welting on the cushions? Or the seat backs? Cushions are all the same with welting all around. The seats, SOME, had welting dividing the sea backs. The photos attached are a 1939 17 Utility. UNTOUCHED. ORIGINAL ORIGINAL ORIGINAL!!!!! Bask in its history
Attachments
clayton-Best-38.jpg
clayton-Best-56.jpg
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

joe.rosenfeld

Post by joe.rosenfeld » Fri Sep 11, 2020 12:09 pm

Thanks Matt, Exactly what I was looking for , right down to the same year, model, and upholstery color. Amazing.
. Are there straps on the bottom of the seat cushions.
Thanks again
Joe

Matt Smith

Post by Matt Smith » Fri Sep 11, 2020 1:20 pm

Its Andy Chuddys barn find. Dont have shots of straps. Here is the original story I did https://www.woodyboater.com/blog/2018/0 ... w-winners/
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman
1937 16' Special Racer
1968 40' Rice Trawler
1968 11' Crab Skiff
2018 Hole in my head

WoodyBoater.com

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:54 am

The first entry in this category has some good inforMation from don Ayers.

Yes there is welting all the way around on at least the front cushions, both on the top and around the bottom. 2 straps per cushion too underneath running from back to front. (Remember they were considered life preservers although kapok sinks when wet.)The center cushion is square, but the outer sides of the two end cushions are tapered in to reflect the narrowing of the hull from stern to bow. The inside of the cushion is kapok inside a cotton bag as shown in the picture. There is sewing to keep the kapok from lumping up. A wad of kapok was placed in each inside corner of the outer russaloid cover to help keep the shape of the cushion, I suppose. Let me know if you need more details or pictures.
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"