Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

almost done my '57 Chris Craft Cruiser restoration, and seek final engine advice

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Al Benton, Don Ayers, Don Vogt

mark.pauster

almost done my '57 Chris Craft Cruiser restoration, and seek final engine advice

Post by mark.pauster » Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:06 pm

I am close to completing the restoration of my 1957 Chris Craft 28’ Sedan Cruiser with flybridge. It currently has twin in-line 6-cylinder Hercules K engines. This fall I want to replace the engines economically, possibly with readily available remanufactured 283”s. I have lots of experience with auto engine rebuilds/retrofits and my goal is simple low-cost retro-fit. Doing a lot of research on this and other great forums, still have a few questions and would appreciate any advice.
- besides brass plugs, marine gaskets, flame arrester, fuel pump, engine mounts, prop shaft mods, linkage mods, electrical mods, are there other considerations?
- prefer not to pay the premium for a reverse starboard engine, can I compensate rotation in the transmission?
- “velvet” or standard Paragon wedge transmission, or other lowest cost option?
And or course any other advice is greatly appreciated. thanks

Tmalko

Re: almost done my '57 Chris Craft Cruiser restoration, and seek final engine advice

Post by Tmalko » Sat Aug 01, 2020 4:04 pm

I have a 57 27 ft sedan with fly bridge. I have 2 KL engines. I would be interested in staying in touch with what you learn as well. I don’t have much experience with KL engines. I am having some issues. Thanks.