Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Fuel Lines

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

gallagh59

Fuel Lines

Post by gallagh59 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:22 pm

As I prepare to install the fuel lines in my '59 Continental I'm confused! I've read through all the information on Boat Buzz regarding fuel lines and have decided upon 5/16" copper lines using DOT approved compression fittings! As I read further into the blog, many members say that DOT fittings are "Not Acceptable!" Can someone that lives and dies Chris-Craft enlighten me on the appropriate fittings to use??? Many thanks in advance!!!! Would 3/8" copper be better????

mbigpops

Re: Fuel Lines

Post by mbigpops » Sat Aug 29, 2020 7:26 am

First of all I do not live and die Chris Craft so you may not want my advice but here it is. I have restored one boat from scratch and was fortunate enough to get really good advice from one of the "experts" - which included fuel lines and fittings and after 5 years of service I have had no issues.

I used 3/8" copper tubing because that is what was recommended to me. My engine is a KL and I have had no fuel delivery issues with my setup. As far as the compression fittings go I agree that DOT is not what you should use as they are not gasoline approved. I used McMaster Carr for my fittings. If you go to their website and search on "Precision Compression fittings for copper tubing" you will find items that are rated for gasoline applications.

https://www.mcmaster.com/compression-fi ... -tubing-8/

Again I have no idea what engine your Continental has or if 3/8 would be good for your engine as I only know what works for my KL.

Mark
1953 CC Rocket Runabout "Rocket Man"

gallagh59

Re: Fuel Lines

Post by gallagh59 » Sun Aug 30, 2020 8:19 pm

Thank you Mark!