Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

KLC carb schematic

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

George Emmanuel

KLC carb schematic

Post by George Emmanuel » Sun Dec 29, 2019 12:07 pm

My KLC carb dumps gas from a port just below the flange and at idle floods badly. The air screw has no effect on the idle either. I sent the carb off for a rebuild and when I got it back it's doing the same thing. So we put a plug in that hole and the engine runs fine and the air screw works as it should. However, that hole is supposed to be open. Does anyone have a diagram of the idle circuit passageways? Hopefully after viewing the diagram we can see where the problem may be.

George Emmanuel

Re: KLC carb schematic

Post by George Emmanuel » Wed Jan 01, 2020 10:11 am

Tom, thank you so much for that....it answers the question. What's going on with my carb is at idle it is dumping gas out of the vacuum hole that provides the vacuum for the accelerator pump, and we can't figure out why. We plugged the hole and the engine runs fine. What's confusing us is I have a spare carb that was on the original KLC and it does the same thing, and both carbs are assembled correctly. I suppose someday I'll figure it out.

steven.anderson.2011

Post by steven.anderson.2011 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 3:53 pm

Sounds to me like you have a leak in the diaphragm part of the accelerator pump. When that doesn't leak, and you hook the hose between the hole you plug and the diaphragm pump, it is relatively the same as plugging that hole.
Steve Anderson
1956 Chris Craft Continental 18'
1990 Chris Craft Concept 198

Tom Gruenauer

Post by Tom Gruenauer » Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:41 pm

IMG_0683a.JPG
The fuel may be getting past the seal at the top of the accelerator pump (brass radius / cast Iron C'bore).
My 2 cents.