Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Stencils for post war painted on CC logo?

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

ohopluke

Stencils for post war painted on CC logo?

Post by ohopluke » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:27 pm

Hello all, we are new to the site, recovering Thompson boaters that just brought home our first Chris, a 1948 Custom Sedan 22. She has the post war painted cedar hull with the logo painted on. I'm going to be repainting the white and I'm wondering if stencils are available somewhere to repaint the logo? I'm no artist but I'm sure I can make a stencil before I sand if I have to, but, I'm not much of an artist! I can't find any mention of stencils other than pre war which is quite different. And an unrelated question, does the internet seem to be getting dumber? I think all the algorithms are trying so hard to show you what they think you want to see, that a lot of genuine info never makes it to your screen. Just seems like I could find a lot more good info several years ago. I might just be turning into a grumpy old man too . . . Sure appreciate any help, loving the club, what a trove of knowledge and expertise! Jeff

Captain Nemo

Re: Stencils for post war painted on CC logo?

Post by Captain Nemo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:05 pm

Hi, welcome to the Boat Buzz. There are decals available for the hullside script. Usually in gold or silver. The white sided hulls the script were painted in red I believe. The red decals must be out there somewhere. Hopefully someone will chime in here with a source. The other option would be to find an old-school sign painter for the job. They are getting very hard to find these days. Good luck.
As for the dumb internet search algorithm issue, you might want to stay away from Google Search, they are an evil entity :x (almost as bad as Facebook). I like using DuckDuckGo for my default search. They don't share your info like others do.
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Wed Nov 06, 2019 9:12 am

Although red was applied to some, your 22 should use a silver decal. Readily available. Looks good against white hull side.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

ohopluke

Post by ohopluke » Fri Nov 08, 2019 6:08 pm

Thanks for the info gentlemen, we appreciate it. I don't mind putting a decal on but I sure would like to find a red one, hull card shows it was painted on red. A sign painter may be the best route, there's got to be one left out there somewhere!

I'll give DuckDuck a look, I've never heard of them for a search engine. Thanks!

Greg Wallace

Post by Greg Wallace » Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:38 am

Always liked the painted 22"s and especially the sedans. Factory literature as well as the originals (22s) I have seen all displayed silver graphics. Yours having "painted red" called out on the hull card may be somewhat rare. You might be able to have a sign shop that does computer graphic design scan an available decal and create a stencil. Good luck!
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

jwmccman

Post by jwmccman » Sun Nov 10, 2019 9:11 am

I have a package of several NOS CC Decals that are Red outlined in White,
feel free to email me [email protected]
Joe Morrison

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:49 am

I would definitely paint it in red. We paint all the white sided U-22 in red at the shop. Every white sided hull card that I have seen was red paint. I could get a stencil for you from my artist but not sure what he would charge because they are all hand done, but I could ask if you would like.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout

ohopluke

Post by ohopluke » Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:18 pm

Thanks for the info everyone, more here in 1 post than a week of searching the internet! My wife thinks she has found an old school painter who can do it for us. But, if not, I know where to turn, thanks!