Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Gas Fume Detector Installation

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Moosemeat

Gas Fume Detector Installation

Post by Moosemeat » Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:17 pm

After the unfortunate event at Keuka Lake I bought a Xintex fume detector. I have an 1947 18' delux sportsman.
Where do you all think the best spot for the detection unit is for this boat? I initially thought the carb side would be best but the installation instructions recommend avoiding the manifold's heat.
I do not want to mount it in the doghouse for fear of fouling the wire. Any ideas? Thanks.

Greg Wallace

Re: Gas Fume Detector Installation

Post by Greg Wallace » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:16 am

I would install low as possible on inside of stringer, under and behind carb. If sensor is not water proof then mount high enough to avoid any expected bilge water. Keep in mind that fumes are heavier than air and will accumulate low to high. The goal is to sense them before they get high enough to contact any ignition source. If your system will accommodate multiple sensors then consider mounting a back-up farther aft, maybe under fuel tank. Wise move.
Greg Wallace 23 Custom 22166 former Chris-Craft dealer Russells Point, Oh.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:37 pm

Agree with mounting the sensor as low as possible but out of the expected water in the bilge. I would also mount it on the carb/fuel pump side of engine, assuming you're running a Hercules 6 cylinder. That is where any fuel problems should occur. I installed one on my Lyman over the winter before this tragedy happened and I am glad I did. Since that is a V8, I installed it just aft of the engine on the fuel pump side. As stated, gasoline fumes are heavier than air.
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

lewalter

Post by lewalter » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:25 pm

While sensor is water resistant being submerged in bilge water would hamper performance. Place on carb side but really anywhere fumes are most likely to accumulate. Gas atomizes quick an will go to lower areas of lower concentration right away but seconds count if there’s a leak or failure. Just before the hammondsport accident I installed a xintex and blower. Maybe the xintex could have help. We don’t know yet. Consider your set up and place sensor as low as possible without your known bilge levels interfering. Smart move.

lewalter

Post by lewalter » Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:27 pm

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3883.jpg
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3883.jpg
Attachments
UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_387f.jpg