Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Adding a Temp gauge to a CC 105hp "K" engine

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mcashman53

Adding a Temp gauge to a CC 105hp "K" engine

Post by mcashman53 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:14 am

I recently purchased a 1950 18' CC Sportsman w/ a 105hp "K" engine and would like to add a engine temp gauge. Any suggestions on how to go about purchasing one and installation thoughts? Not being able to monitor the temp, as a former helicopter pilot, makes me a little uneasy! Thanks-Mike

Captain Nemo

Re: Adding a Temp gauge to a CC 105hp "K" engine

Post by Captain Nemo » Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:37 am

Welcome to the Boat Buzz,
Adding a temp gauge is a good idea. There is a threaded plug in the side of the head where the sender will go. Using a manual or electric gauge is your choice, I would go with a manual.
A lot of boats weren’t fitted with temp gauges, I guess they depended you seeing the excessive steam rolling out the back before it seizes up. That being said, an overheat situation is less critical in your Sportsman than in your helicopter. Unless you are above Niagara Falls without an anchor :shock: .
Boats are to be made of wood, otherwise, God would have grown fiberglass trees.

Bilge Rat

Post by Bilge Rat » Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:44 am

Not all years of the KL may have come with the 1/2" tapped hole for a sender in the head. If it did, it would have a pipe plug installed like the red circled area in the attached picture. Removing that plug can be a challenge as it's been installed metal on metal for almost 70 years.

If the head does not have a tapped hole, use extreme caution drilling and tapping a new threaded hole. Cast iron, particularly old cast iron can crack with the stress of the tap being forced into it. I would suggest taking it to a machinist if that is required.

I would also suggest staying with the original style mechanical (non-electrical) temperature gauge for originality sake. Jim Staib at finewoodboats.com could help.
Attachments
CC head.jpg
CC head.jpg (127.47 KiB) Viewed 1554 times
1966 Lyman Cruisette 25 foot "Serenity Now!"
1953 Chris Craft Sportsman 22 foot "Summerwind"

davidvn

Post by davidvn » Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:39 pm

I don’t think it much matters whether you use an electrical gauge or a mechanical gauge that uses a capillary tube. Your big challenge is to find a gauge that matches the cosmetics of your other gauges and getting the plug out of the side of the head. Once you’ve accomplished that either one will work properly.

mcashman53

Post by mcashman53 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:42 pm

Thanks to everyone for your replies...very helpful. I do have an engine with the plug as you described so I will start doing some more research on where to get a manual gauge and how best to install it. Thanks again! Mike

George Emmanuel

Post by George Emmanuel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:00 pm

I also like having a temp gauge. Right after my initial launch the temp gauge played an important part in keeping my engine safe. The waterpump key sheared and I was able to see the temp rise and shut the engine down.

I'm not keen on adding instruments and switches to the dash that aren't authentic, even though they are needed. So what I did was remove my glove box and mount the temp gauge inside the glovebox so it was easily viewed from the driver's seat. That way no modification was made to the correct dash. The portion of the glovebox where the gauge is mounted can easily be replaced without destroying the originality of the boat. You have to look close at the picture to see the gauge inside the glovebox.

George Emmanuel

Post by George Emmanuel » Thu Aug 22, 2019 6:29 pm

I've tried 3 times to add a picture with no luck./

George Emmanuel

Post by George Emmanuel » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:09 am

Thanks to Jim Godlewski I may be able to post the picture[attachment=0]DSC03354 - Copy.JPG[/attachment] You have to look closely inside the glove box
Attachments
DSC03354 - Copy.JPG