Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

So I Went to a Vintage European Car Swap Meet and Ended Up with This ...

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

North Woody

So I Went to a Vintage European Car Swap Meet and Ended Up with This ...

Post by North Woody » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:25 pm

Walking along rows and rows of Porsche, Ferrari, MG and Jaguar stuff at the Fuel Fed swap meet yesterday in North Chicago, I spied this little beauty which was literally the ONLY boat part in the whole meet :). Brought it home to sit on my shelf at work to keep me focused on getting closer to Memorial Day when I can drop our Runabout back on the water here in the upper Midwest
FAF612EA-5C45-4DE4-9CA0-BE1E4FCAB0C7.jpeg
1936 Chris Craft 19’ Runabout “Lake Girl”
https://chris-craft.org/boats/49122/

Bob B

Re: So I Went to a Vintage European Car Swap Meet and Ended Up with This ...

Post by Bob B » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:19 pm

Wow. I recently replaced our identical gauge that had a cracked back case and and stuck mechanism with 2 junk tachs, getting one perfectly good one as a result, but it wasn't easy. At the time, I couldn't find what you found. Our grand-daughter used white nail polish to "finish off the pointer needle in white" and everything worked. Stupid boats; I love 'em.

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:25 am

Great find. I assume this is planned for your '36 runabout?

I think however, that this particular gauge with the cc facing was used after cc went to the individual gauge arrangement starting with the '40 custom. (someone can correct me if this is not completely the case.) With the gauges in a gauge panel, the rpm gauge was labelled stewart warner, for example, rather than cc. Enclosed is a picture from my '38 that shows how those earlier ones looked.

not the clearest shot, perhaps clearer if you can expand the photo. The numbers and the demarcation lines seem different from the one you show. Also the "hundreds" was toward the top of the gauge, rather than down below as shown in your gauge.
Attachments
IMG_1498.JPG
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

North Woody

Post by North Woody » Tue Feb 12, 2019 1:15 pm

Hey Don, yeah the tach was a fun and totally unexpected find, but it’s definitely not for my ‘36. Truth be told, I bought it to sit in my office next to the CC model that makes me smile every time I look at it, especially on the bad, deep-winter days like today 😊. Here’s a shot from my office where it’s currently sitting:
B8C00199-DE88-422A-A811-B175B6354CC7.jpeg

This tach is totally different from the gauge package in my ‘36 Runabout, which is fully functional and all ready to roll for Memorial Day. Here’s a pic of the dash from Lake Girl which is currently with Steve Bunda getting her new 5200 bottom installed this winter!
4D9C3705-3036-40D0-9C90-91C9058978EF.jpeg

Don Vogt
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Vogt » Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:49 pm

thanks. that's what i call a well stocked office!

I am sure steve will do a great job for you. something to look forward to for spring. As you might guess, i am partial to the mid 30's runabouts prior to the barrel- back treatment. more classic in the lines.

maybe you can bring it out to coeur d' alene for the 2022 (or hopefully sooner) international?
1938 Chris Craft 17' Deluxe Runabout "Jennifer II"

Catalyst

Post by Catalyst » Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi, North Woody, I was at the Fuelfed Swap Meet, too, and I'd heard that someone had found a Chris-Craft item. It must have been there for you because I can't imagine who else could have possibly bought it there. Pretty fun to see you post here and find that you're a CCABC member, too. Several of the Fuelfed members own Chris-Crafts, too.

North Woody

Post by North Woody » Thu Feb 28, 2019 12:57 pm

Catalyst,

Yeah, I kinda figured that there would be some cross-over between the vintage car crowd and the CC crowd but this is the first explicit connection I’ve made so far. I’ve owned my 1968 Porsche 911L since 1992 when I bought it from my uncle (who bought it in 1972 as the second owner), and Tom Snellback at The Last Detail is going to do a full paint and body work restoration of it this starting in October.

But I bought my first CC last August so I’ve got a lot to learn from this crowd who has been awesome at answering knucklehead questions from a newbie like me :). I just joined Fuel Fed and the swap meet was my first event so I look forward to meeting more folks once the event calendar kicks off and hopefully connecting with any CC folks as well. In the meantime, the new 5200 bottom project is progressing well and I’m shooting for Memorial Day to drop Lake Girl into the water for our first summer with her!

North Woody

Post by North Woody » Thu Feb 28, 2019 3:45 pm

Don Vogt wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:49 pm
thanks. that's what i call a well stocked office!

I am sure steve will do a great job for you. something to look forward to for spring. As you might guess, i am partial to the mid 30's runabouts prior to the barrel- back treatment. more classic in the lines.

maybe you can bring it out to coeur d' alene for the 2022 (or hopefully sooner) international?
Thanks Don, and I share your passion for the pre-barrels for the beauty and simplicity of the lines of these gorgeous boats! From everything I’ve seen and read about from this crowd I’m looking forward to getting engaged with the boat show events once the bottom work is done and we get Lake Girl settled on our lake up in Northern Wisconsin. I love this forum for all the help that you all provide to those of us that need help and guidance as we enter this community! Looking forward to thanking you guys personally at the shows :)