Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Brass Transom Trim

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Dbhardin

Brass Transom Trim

Post by Dbhardin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:55 pm

Hi everyone,

What an amazing board and source of knowledge and information. This is my first post about my first classic boat, a 1957 22' Sea Skiff. The boat is in great condition but needs new topside paint, since it was last stripped and painted in 1999. The sea skiffs have a brass band trim piece where the lap strake planks meet the transom. The prior owner painted these pieces when he did the new top sides, and I want to replace them with clean brass when I re-paint. Does anyone know a source for this part?

kleiner

Re: Brass Transom Trim

Post by kleiner » Sat Aug 01, 2015 9:22 pm

You should re-use the pieces you have. Strip the paint, polish, and re-install. If it were me, I'd get these pieces re-chromed.

George Emmanuel

Post by George Emmanuel » Mon Oct 26, 2015 7:52 pm

[attachment=0]Harriett E 001.jpg[/attachment]I could be wrong but I think those pieces are supposed to be painted. My dad had a 30' 1958 Sea Skiff and those bands were painted. If they weren't supposed to be painted they'd be chromed----same thing for the window trim. Our window trim continuously peeled its paint, so after dealing with it we stripped the paint and left it un-polished brass.

George
Attachments
Harriett E 001.jpg
1958 CC 30" Sea Skiff "Harriett E."

George Emmanuel

Post by George Emmanuel » Mon Oct 26, 2015 8:01 pm

By the way,---if she doesn't look like the typical Sea Skiff it's because her rear deck top had been extended, which in my opinion really enhanced the appearance---and shade!

Dbhardin

Post by Dbhardin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:32 pm

Thank you for the reply. Might not be original to this boat, but I decided to have the bands chromed. I like the look.

jim g

Post by jim g » Wed Oct 28, 2015 6:31 pm

The transom bands were originally statutory bronze finished. As were all the screws you see on the boat. This was only on the SEa Skiff line.