Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

deck boxes

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

dragonfly

deck boxes

Post by dragonfly » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:09 pm

wake up sea skiffers,i gotta question. In doing some research for the Dragonfly, i see pics of deck boxes just below the doghouse on both sides. they apear to steps w/ a lifting lid. as i gazed closer and closer at d-fly, i noticed some pale areas on my interior. thats right; where deck boxes would have been. can any one who might have these little guys on their skiff please give me the dimensions so when the time comes I might be able to either a) find a pair or 2) make them. thank you all in advance for all your support. pete.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:33 pm

Pete, this is a tough one. I have reviewed all of the Sea Skiff catalogs, spec sheets documents, and photos from the late fifties on, and I do not see any deck boxes, or see mention of them in standard features or optional equipment. Help me narrow the search somewhat. What year and model is in question. I will look closer at those years/models.
Bill Basler

Wilson Wright

Skiff Boxes...

Post by Wilson Wright » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:13 am

Call one of the Smiths, Chris, Alan...etc...they are good at Skiff details.
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:19 am

Pete, per our offline conversation, the deck boxes that you are referring to are the step boxes that many of the models with deeper cockpits had. I do have many catalogs that show these. I will review to see if there are any decent closeups.
Bill Basler

Dale Harris

Deck Boxes?

Post by Dale Harris » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Not sure about your boat's year but my 1955 Semi- Enclosed has mahogany live wells with aerators and overflow drains. These double as cockpit steps. The dimensions are about 12" deep, 30" wide and 14" high. The boxes are NOT listed in the 1955 or 1956 accessory catalogs. See the attached photo. Good luck, Dale
1955 Chris-Craft 29' Semi-Enclosed Crusier "Mon Ami"

Chad Durren

Step / Boxes

Post by Chad Durren » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:47 am

Here is a shot of the steps from the 22' sea skiff I no longer own. SCOUT was listed in the back of Wooden Boat 2 years ago and I have no idea where she ended up. I don't have dimensions to the steps but the construction was quite simple. The vertical pieces were solid wood (painted). The sides were profiled to match the curvature of the hull. Each side piece had a vertical running dado to slide in the front piece, which was plywood (painted). The top was mahogany with a piano hinge. All exposed edges were rounded over. The steps originally had a black ribbed rubber pad on top. The steps also had hardware with a turnbuckle to add strength to the step.
[/img]

Chad Durren

Step / Box

Post by Chad Durren » Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:50 am

A fellow Sea Skiff owner will surely have the dimensions. Skiffs are a working man's boat, maybe they're all out working?

dragonfly

deck boxes

Post by dragonfly » Sun Sep 30, 2007 12:05 pm

good morning all, thanks to chad & bill w/ pics and pamphlets i was able to figure out where and how to build these. I'm doing templates today and then off for materials. thank you all again. PS "Dragonfly" is coming along great and faster than I thought. She'll be ready for her 50th anniversary tour next season! thanks again. Peter.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Jan 03, 2008 3:09 pm

Possibly a little late to be of help, I received this photo of member Fred Pinketon's great looking Sea Skiff. fred boats in the Bayfield area of Lake Superior.

Fred sent me a photo of his 1956 Sea Skiff taken from an aerial perspective. It shows the boxes in question quite well. Thanks Fred!

Bill Basler

dragonfly

deck boxes

Post by dragonfly » Tue Jan 08, 2008 9:46 am

Good morning Bill. Its never too late for good research pics. D-fly is in her final stages of her redo for her upcoming 50th anniv. tour. when the new floors go in I will then go ahead w/ the boxes. By the way, these are by far the best pics I've seen so far, and yes, I will use them. Again, thank you for all you do. Peter.
1955 18'CC Sea Skiff & 1959 18' Mercury Sabre