Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Thru Hull Fittings

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

tuobanur

Thru Hull Fittings

Post by tuobanur » Wed Oct 08, 2014 10:25 am

I will be installing an electric bilge pump on my boat and wanted to know where most install there thru hull fitting? I have purchased a nice bronze fitting that is appropriate for the boat but i'm not sure of the most common location.
Terry
1941 Model 101 (16') Deluxe Runabout "Miss Dot"

Doug P

Re: Thru Hull Fittings

Post by Doug P » Wed Oct 08, 2014 11:07 am

Install it where you can see it from the helms seat and when you are docked. Stbd in line with rear seat.

farupp

Re: Thru Hull Fittings

Post by farupp » Wed Oct 08, 2014 1:59 pm

I do not know if there is a common location. In my Sea Skiff the pump near the helm is located adjacent to the fore drain plug, at the low point of the hull when in the water. I located the water discharge thru-hull as close as possible to the pump, about 18 inches above the water line, so that the hose running to the discharge was a short as possible. i.e. the least restriction possible to the flow of water. I used a 3/4 inch ID hose with a smooth inside. It was a little tricky trying to route the hose around the inside of the hull with as few bends as possible and still keeping it hidden. I can't see the water discharge but I can hear it when the boat isn't running. I have a pump switch that has a red light that illuminates when the pump is running.

I also have a pump in the stern of the boat that operates when the boat is underway. It has a similar set up with the discharge and switch light.

I hope this helps, but don't know what type of boat in which the pump will be installed.,
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine