Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Too much Moisture

If it doesn't pertain to metal, wood, wire or fabric—but it is about vintage Chris-Crafts, ask your question or give your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

lpmcrags

Too much Moisture

Post by lpmcrags » Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:48 pm

I have a 17ft. Sportsman Utility that I kept in the water for about 3 weeks & experienced lots of moisture on almost everything. I have a vented cover made of soft touch polyester canvas which was damp inside. My first attempt was to put a fan inside the cockpit under the cover & this helped it took away all of the moisture that was previously on all the chrome & the flat wood surfaces. Then I looked at the engine & it was covered with moisture.
I have since pulled the boat but I would like to keep it in the water again. My plan next time is to put a block under the motor hatch & direct the fan in that area, I really want to keep the engine as dry as possible. The hull is pretty much water tight but there is always some water in the bilge when it's in the water.
Anyone have a suggestion to keep the moisture out of the boat.
Larry Peters
"Lady-B-Wood"
17 ft. Sportsman Utility

farupp

Re: Too much Moisture

Post by farupp » Mon Aug 18, 2014 1:20 pm

You do not have enough air circulation and I had the same problem with a full cover. I used an electric dehumidifier on my '49 CC 27 foot cruiser. I set up a drain to the bilge and the bilge pump removed the water as necessary.
Frank Rupp
1959 22-foot Sea Skiff Ranger
283 Flywheel Forward engine

Doug P

Re: Too much Moisture

Post by Doug P » Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:00 pm

Your cover is not breathing, need more ventilation