Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Solid coper romex or tinned stranded wire?

Your old Chris-Craft electrical system can be a challenge. If it runs on "juice" pose your questions and offer your advice here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

debiby

Solid coper romex or tinned stranded wire?

Post by debiby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:22 pm

I am going to take the old ac fuse boxes out of my cruiser and put in a marine breaker panel. I am going to add some circutes and seperate some. Which wire should I use? Also the old configuration has a 12g romex hooked up to a 30a shore plug with no fuse going straight to the air so I need to redo this circut, I have a shore power cord with both ends messed up can I use that to run from plug to breaker panel? I want to fix it right not cause a fire, I know how to wire a house but never done a boat.
Thanks guys :P
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

RRGadow

Post by RRGadow » Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:30 pm

There are alot of things to be thinking about when wiring up your boat...I know, as I just had a complete rewire done on mine. ONLY use marine grade wire, its stranded to combat the vibrations and conditions its exposed to. I would highly suggest you buy some of the boat wiring books that are available before you touch or buy anything.
www.Gadowguitars.com

Varnish addiction.

offshorespars

Post by offshorespars » Wed Feb 13, 2013 2:37 pm

Use tinned wire only for a marine application.
1978 30' CC Sportsman
1948 22' CC Sportsman

debiby

Post by debiby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 3:57 pm

I thought as much and planned on uaing tinned wire but just wanted to make sure. I did order a book on the subject as well. Some of what is in there is solid coper romex so I wanted to make sure I was right. Here is a picture of what I am changing out.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

offshorespars

Post by offshorespars » Wed Feb 13, 2013 4:22 pm

I am not an expert on wiring but I make large sailing yacht masts for a living and the specs won't allow anything other than stranded, tinned wire for the equipment that is controled by 12v and 24v. With that being said my 30' CC Sportsman has solid strand romex for the shorepower and other 110 v outlets.
1978 30' CC Sportsman
1948 22' CC Sportsman

Peter M Jardine

Post by Peter M Jardine » Wed Feb 13, 2013 5:44 pm

Solid core wire is strictly prohibited by ABYC standards. As has been said, tinned marine grade wire is the only wire that should be used.

Be aware that ABYC has updated some of the color codes on wiring to reflect differences in grounds (AC or DC) and AC versus DC hot lines as well.

Most older boats have been subject to the indignities of people who should stay home, build garden sheds and install ceiling fans. Having torn out football sized bunches of inappropriate and orphan wire from my Challenger over the last 3 or 4 years, I feel your
pain.

Dan, did you sort out your galvanic issues?

joanroy

Post by joanroy » Wed Feb 13, 2013 6:34 pm

Use only marine grade wire and marine grade water tight connectors. Make sure wire and breakers are sized correctly.

debiby

Post by debiby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:28 pm

i hear that you should see some of the stuff that has been done in my boat, funny thing is my understanding of her history is that she was a coast gaurd boat for many years,I wonder how much they done? I plan on using 14g for most circuts that are 15a or less, 12g for stove, air and water heater. 10g from plugs to mains.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

debiby

Post by debiby » Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:30 pm

Pete I am not sure what issues you mean but then again my memory sucks now days, to many bouts of phnumonia.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

kenmarx

Post by kenmarx » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:05 pm

I like the new safty DC wire because it is yellow and red. AC is black and red. when i rewired Roamer I used almost all 12-3 wire, it does not hurt to use larger wire and then if you need you can alway up the fuse size or lower to the rating of what ever in plugged into outlet. you can buy larger roll of one wire . Defender.com has a good price on marine wire, or did. i use 20 amp breakers for micowave and heater only. i still need to install AC generator trying to figure out the exhaust. got the panel from blue sea for double throw double pole to hook up to generator or land hookup. the last paper i read from mercury said not to solder were you are connecting wires together, it makes a hard wire and that is were it will brake.. at the bilge pump i still solder myself and use a good heat shrink connector..Thats a big job you got for yourself, but new wire and boxes sure look nice.

debiby

Post by debiby » Fri Mar 22, 2013 8:54 pm

I bought 50 feet of both 12 and 14. Most of the circuts are ok but some will be completly redone and a couple new ones added. The old configuration had 6 fuses on one line, the new one will have 12 on two lines so there won't be so much bunching together of circuts. I got my panel off of e-bay but it is new and a real nice set up I'm just waiting for the darn weather to warm up a little more to do it.
Dan Biby
38' Challenger "DreamOn"

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Fri Mar 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Peter M Jardine wrote:
Most older boats have been subject to the indignities of people who should stay home, build garden sheds and install ceiling fans.
Love it