Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Cracked topside plank finishing

One part science, five parts experimentation. Every wood boat veteran has their secret recipe for a showy finish. Share your trials and triumphs.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

KentJ

Cracked topside plank finishing

Post by KentJ » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:48 pm

Does anyone have a before and after picture of a plank or seam repair. I am interested in how the Famowood looks after stained and varnished. Thanks

Kerry Price

Post by Kerry Price » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:31 am

Kent,
There are sure to be lots of opinions here and no one likes to do a repair when it may be best to actually replace the whole plank but some times this just is not practical or even necessary. So as for repairs of this nature. I would consider other options than using Famo for doing seam or plank repair. It will be noticeable and have no structural integrity. There are better ways to fix this.
It is hard to give advice without actually seeing your situation so if you could describe the cracks; how long, how wide etc, that would help. Good pictures are helpful also.
Assuming you have a crack 1/16" or more wide at whatever length you can glue in a very thin wedge of mahogany into the crack. Using a 1/2 inch plank scrap piece turn your table saw blade to a very slight angle and slice off a very narrow wedge. The fat edge can be wider than the crack. Glue the wedge into the crack, tapping it in lightly with a light weight hammer until snugly inset into the crack. Don't worry if a large portion wedge is sticking out. When dry use a small finger plane and remove the excess down to just a hair proud or the surrounding area. Sand lightly until flush and the crack will disappear. When you stain it you will be staining actual mahogany and if you do it carefully the repair will be solid and undetectable. I have some pictures of this that I will try to find and post.
Last edited by Kerry Price on Sat Dec 22, 2012 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1946 20' Custom Runabout: R-20-092
1938 19' Sportsman: 19501
http://www.chris-craft.org/registry/vie ... oat_id=532

boat_art

Post by boat_art » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:44 am

I cant imagine where you would want to use famowood where it would be stained and varnished. As far as plugging cracks with wedges, I think you would need to know why it cracked. If it is because of shrinkage it will cause all kinds of problems.
Kerry is right...please post pics we dont have enough info.
http://www.boatartgallery.com
1956 CC Connie 47'
1959 Caulkins bartender
1965 Cheoy Lee Frisco Flyer
1953 Chris Craft Holiday
1941 Chris Craft Deluxe
Plus 8-12 customer boats at any time
God don't count the days spent messing around in wood boats.

KentJ

Post by KentJ » Sat Dec 22, 2012 7:00 pm

I will try to get some pics. The plank is just cracked, it is not separated. I think the previous owner hit something. There is no gouge, though. No evidence of abuse. The crack is about 18" long about mid-ship, between frames.

thomasholm

Post by thomasholm » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:51 pm

I understand this crack is on a topside plank, like a covering board? You will no doubt end up with a beauty mark with a repair. I,d take a spare piece of like wood and crack it and try some techniques including supe glue. Then you will probably end up at a seasoned restorer,s shop for a new plank replacement that would look great everdsy forward.
thomas holmes

maritimeclassics

Post by maritimeclassics » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:51 am

The way I have stopped cracks from getting worse is to epoxy them on the back side. This is not the best for a highly visible area but if you want to stop it you would press epoxy into the crack for the under side and then cover the area with the epoxy, then use a fiber glass strip. After you apply the strip and have it pressed into the epoxy resin add more epoxy over the tape to make sure it is all wet and covered. If this repair is on the under side of the deck you can use a piece of wood warped in plastic with a brace or something to hold pressure on the block until it dries.

Then you can fix the top side of the plank/crack, tape both sides (using blue tape) of the crack and press in filler using famowood. Sand the area until you get down to the tape then remove the tape. Sand again with 320 grit until it is flush with the varnish and then you can stain the crack then you can varnish. This is a repair for a varnished area, if you are to bare wood then I would fix the crack the same but famowood all the plugs on the deck along with the crack and start my sanding and fairing.
Family member of Chris Craft founder
Owner of Maritime Classics
http://www.maritimeclassics.com
Ph# 231-486-6148

Restoration Projects:
1936 25' Gar Wood Custom
1947 Ventnor Hydroplane
1957 17' Deluxe Runabout
1948 25' Chris Craft Sportsman Twin
1959 19' Sliver Arrow Hull #75
1929 26' Chris Craft Custom Runabout
1937 25' Chris Craft Custom Runabout