Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Looking For Thermostat Housings

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

jstolte

Looking For Thermostat Housings

Post by jstolte » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:36 pm

The attached photos are the thermostat housings off my boat, which is a 1967 Chris-Craft Crusader 36'. The engines are Chevy 350 cid. Both are re-manufactured engines, one from Jasper the other from Blue Star (I think).

The original engines in the boat were Chris-Craft (Chevy) 327s. These re-powers happened long before my time and there is no one that I can find that knows anything about when or how or what was actually done with these. These parts may have come off the original 1967 327 engines, and transferred to the new engines.

As you can see they suffer from some serious corrosion and I would like to replace them. I’m terrified of the thought of removing them without first having replacement parts.

I would like to replace them with the same parts if I can find them, but so far no luck. I am not opposed to using a different part, as long as it fits and works fine.

I have talked to many marinas and marine mechanics and have emailed pics to several marine engine parts dealers with no luck. Everyone just says they can't find one like that in their (probably current) catalogs.

Any help anyone can give in locating/providing these parts will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

John Stolte
1967 Chris Craft Crusader 36'
"Voyager"
1985 Chris Craft Scorpion 21'

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

jahearne

Post by jahearne » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:47 pm

Sorry, the ones I have are different; they're off a 1965 283/327. I did notice off a repowered Mercuriser that had a similar thermostat housing only it was more of a v-shape not directly opposite hose outlets like your picture.
John & Wendy

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:52 am

Thanks John. We have looked through all the catalogs, and even at Mercruiser. So far no luck in finding one.
John Stolte
"Voyager"

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

evansjw44

Add ON T-Stat

Post by evansjw44 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:35 am

That looks to me like the add on thermost that was put on early 283s. Do these engines have a circulating pump and a raw water pump? The 327F has both and the t-stat housing is very different. If your engines have straight through cooling, that is no circulating pump, then you have the add on. Jim Staid might have one or Peter Henkle or Earl Stilson.
Jim Evans

jstolte

Re: Add ON T-Stat

Post by jstolte » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:22 pm

The engines are fresh water cooled. There is a water pump that I assume circulates the FRESH water. The exhaust is raw water cooled. I guess they that has a pump too.

I'll look to see if I have better picture of more of the engine. Maybe in my survey... If I find something that I think might be helpful, I'll upload it.

Thanks
John Stolte
"Voyager"

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Tue Feb 07, 2012 12:43 pm

Attached are engine pics from my pre-purchase survey. I hope that helps shed more light on the issue...

John Stolte
"Voyager"

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

gbraker

Post by gbraker » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:20 pm

Well you have a closed cooling system, so you would have to have a raw water pump for the heat exchangers that would dump into the manifolds. You will also have a circulation pump to pump antifreeze through the heat exchanger secondary and throughout the engine. Wait for the reply from Jim Evans, I'm sure he will have additional info.

Gary

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:33 pm

Thank you Gary.
John Stolte
"Voyager"

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

jahearne

Post by jahearne » Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:26 am

jstolte wrote:Attached are engine pics from my pre-purchase survey. I hope that helps shed more light on the issue...

Send these pictures to Robert Henkel at Chris-Craft-Parts.com. Peter's son is running the shop now and is very good at it.
John & Wendy

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:46 pm

As recommended, I contacted Robert Henkel and he was indeed very helpful. You've got to like a guy who tells you that you don't really need what you're trying to buy from him :-)

I learned that the parts I was worried about are Bronze, so therefore nothing to be concerned about. I had been concerned about removing them to clean up without having a replacement already.

Robert has the parts, so shortly I will remove the parts and clean them up. Should the worst happen, at least I know I can call Robert and get some replacements.

Thank you Robert and everyone who contributed.
John Stolte
"Voyager"

CCABC IT Team Volunteer

63constellation

Post by 63constellation » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:37 pm

John where are you keeping the boat?I am in Deltaville,maybe we can get together.Ther is a 67 46' Connie that was sunk there may be some parts left from her.8042471755

jstolte

Post by jstolte » Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:48 am

Thanks. I might be interested in scavenging for other parts from that too.

My boat is in Callao, off the Potomac River. We have several old Chris-Crafts at our marina.

Give me a call some time.. 804-370-5541
John Stolte
"Voyager"

CCABC IT Team Volunteer