Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

OUTDRIVE (ALPHA ONE MERCRUISER ) INSTALLATION-HELP

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

THE RAZZ

OUTDRIVE (ALPHA ONE MERCRUISER ) INSTALLATION-HELP

Post by THE RAZZ » Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi all, Its been too long.
I need suggestions for re-installing the 1987 Mercruiser Alpha One drive.
The Official Mercruiser Service Manual Handbook reveals all the alignment parts and their functionality. However, the special tricks for re-installing the out-drive are in short supply.
Here's what we know.
Alignment tool shows "teeth" in the grease 360 degrees (but only slips into the coupling spline 1" (?!)
throttle-gear selector in "forward"
gear selector cable&lever connect
out-drive is in forward (trany lever is @ 12:00 o'clock
female for tranny lever is @ 12:00 o'clock
out-drive drive shaft (splines) pass through 4" bearing&guide to female flywheel spline coupler.
out-drive slides forward to (6) studs
(rotated driveshaft at universal joints +/- 5 degrees) for alignment
out-drive bangs metal refusing to go home.

Help, Help, Help before the chainsaw resolves issues!
I'm sure someone here removes and installs their out-drive almost effortlessly. I want to be that person too. So far, notsomuch. Help

[url=http://postimage.org/image/wc4ownxxx/][
1942 17' barrelback 71923
1987 21' CC Stinger

THE RAZZ

What's the trick when installing the OutDrive to the engine

Post by THE RAZZ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 12:45 am

Here's the @#*! outdrive that won't bolt up.
shift is forward
shift cable & OD lever are connected
male&female levers are at 12:00 o'clock
alignment tool shows teeth in grease 360 degrees
OD slips forward to flywheel spline couple BUT
OD stops at studs banging metal.
rotated drive shaft a couple of degrees.
No luck-
Whats the trick?!
Help.

e

1987 21' CC Stinger

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:30 am

Razz:

Your outdrive is entirely different than my Type I drive. Mine predates yours by nearly 30 years. The shifting mechanism is entirely different. I do have the advantage of having a family Mercruiser mechanic that I can call for help at any time. Here are some things to check:
  • Stand the unit upright and rotate the brass shifter (intermediate shift shaft) clockwise looking down.

1)The travel of the shifter should be from 10:00 to 12:00 looking down, 12:00 being straight ahead.

2) Roughly speaking, the shifting should be center of boat forward or 12:00, 11:00 neutral, 10:00 reverse.

3) The shift box in the boat should still be in forward.

4) As you rotate the shifter clockwise, turn the prop counter clock wise until it locks.

Never allow the prop to go clockwise or it will rotate the shifter out of position. If this happens go back to 4.

On the bell housing of the transom plate is the shift arm with a roller on it. The aluminum slide piece on the cable tip has two arms, which go to the top with the arms inward.

5) Place the roller from the shift arm between these two arms. The track below the shift shaft should be facing straight ahead. This is where the top of the brass shifter on the drive slides in upon installation.

6) With the drive in forward (step 4) guide the tip of the drive yoke through the gimble bearing.

7) Slide the unit forward. As soon as it reaches the shift slide, guide the slide into the square hole on the drive.

8) Look in the right side and recheck the shift arm position and roller position (step 5).

9) Slide the unit forward until the main shaft hits the coupler spline. It may not go in at this point.

10) Keep pressure forward (inward) on the outdrive. Turn the prop counter clockwise, (it will be hard). This will rotate the shaft. Continue this until it slides in, keeping pressure inward as you turn.

11) Once the shaft goes into the coupler the unit will no longer turn counter clockwise. Do not force it.

12) Bump the unit forward with the palms of your hands until the drive seats, recheck the roller (step 5).

13) If the unit resists installation, lift the unit and check that the track on the upper shift is straight and that the brass shifter is going into it smoothly and straight.

14) Bump the unit the rest of the way on and replace the nuts and washers.
It is good to check the shifting after only two nuts are applied.

I hope this helps Razz.
Bill Basler

THE RAZZ

LOVE DA BUZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:10 pm

Thanks Bill.
1987 21' CC Stinger

THE RAZZ

fire-in-the-hole!

Post by THE RAZZ » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:54 pm

Outdrive bolted up. All is good.