Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

New Archival Films DVD 1

Every so often the executives of The Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club will pose a question asking for your thoughts. Or maybe you have something that you would like to share with us. Step up on the soap box here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton

Bill Basler

New Archival Films DVD 1

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:03 pm

All:

Some time back you may remember club member Don Ayers efforts to purchase a 16mm film that was being sold on Ebay. Many of you generously donated funds towards the purchase of this film.

The film has been transferred, pooled with two other films from the club archive and has been mastered onto DVD.

We now have Archive Films DVD 1 ready for release.
  1. » Chris-Craft promotional film, Circa 1929
    » Gray Marine Goes to War, Circa 1942
    » From Keel to Cruise, a 15-minute film about Kit Boats, Circa 1947
See preview screens here:
images/DVDIntro.jpg
images/KitBoat.jpg

The cost of this DVD is $22.00 (includes postage and handling) for U.S. orders. $28.00 for Canadian and overseas orders.

Please make checks payable to:
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club DVD
112 14th Street SE
Cedar Rapids, IA 52403

We can also accept payments through PayPal. All you need to do is log into your PayPal account and click the "Send Money" link. Send $22.00 USD, if a U.S. resident, $28.00 USD, Canada and Overseas. You will send your funds to the Club PayPal account: [email protected].
Last edited by Bill Basler on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Basler

No Agenda

Film

Post by No Agenda » Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:05 pm

Bill:

Were the 'donors' supposed to get a 'free' copy of the DVD?

Thanks
Cheers,

No Agenda
1950 CC 22FT Sportsman
Minnesota

Wilson Wright

Post by Wilson Wright » Thu Jan 05, 2006 8:49 pm

To the poster who asked if DVD contributors were entitled to a complimentary copy of the DVD..

Well Yes and No...Early on it was announced that contributors who gave $200 or more toward the purchase of the original Kit Boat promotial which was sold on eBay would receive a free DVD.

So if you contributed $200 or more the answer is yes.

Meanwhile the DVDs are now out there and getting good reviews.

Wilson Wright # CCABC
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

No Agenda

DVD

Post by No Agenda » Thu Feb 23, 2006 9:52 pm

Hi Wilson,

Can you update me on the status of my copy?

My check number 5063 was cashed on 1/26/06. Thanks!!

Rob
Cheers,

No Agenda
1950 CC 22FT Sportsman
Minnesota

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:27 pm

Rob:

I'll take this one. Did you not receive your copy? I will check our records once I am in the office tomorrow. If we are in error, (which it sound like we are) I will get one sent out to you right away.
Last edited by Bill Basler on Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Basler

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:06 pm

Bill, is the DVD available from you and is PayPal up and operating for this sort of thing yet? Or should a check be sent to Wilson in Tallahassee? I would like to obtain a copy.

Al

Wilson Wright

Post by Wilson Wright » Sat Aug 26, 2006 8:09 am

Al;

All that stuff went to the Western regional office in Iowa.

Wilson

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Bill Basler

DVDs!!! Great Christmas Presents. Great Support For the Club

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Oct 04, 2006 10:35 pm

Update! We recently ordered 1,000 duplicate copies of the Archive Series DVD 1 mentioned in the prior posts. A little less than a year ago, we announced that this DVD was available. The orders came in a bit slower than expected, so we never took the risk of placing a large order of DVDs. In order to service the people who had ordered the DVD, we ended up desktop burning less than a hundred copies. Since desktop burning DVDs is so painfully slow, we never really "got after it" and promoted them.

Today is a different story. We bit the bullet and ordered 1,000 copies of this very excellent DVD. The description and pricing in the top post still stands. We can also accept payments through PayPal. All you need to do is log into your PayPal account and click the "Send Money" link. Send $22.00 USD, if a U.S. resident, $28.00 USD, Canada and Overseas. You will send your funds to the Club PayPal account: [email protected].

The Club will make a bit of money if we can move these. And any money that we take in comes back at you in the form of Brass Bells, Boat Buzz, the soon to be new Trading Dock and so forth. I would love to see this work out for the Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club. If it does, we can justify more initiatives like this in the future.
Bill Basler

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Oct 16, 2006 3:26 pm

Here is a link to a short sample of the Kit Boat film.

http://www.chris-craft.org/discussion/m ... tintro.avi

Orders anyone?
Bill Basler

THE RAZZ

paypal refusnik?

Post by THE RAZZ » Mon Oct 16, 2006 6:28 pm

Bill,
Trying to use the Paypal opition to buy the DVD by following directions prompted a message that the e mail address is wrong?! "[email protected]". Please advise when able. Thx. Jerry

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:49 pm

I just ordered one using PayPal and there was no porblem with Bill's e-mail address. Try it again, Jerry.

Al

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:57 pm

If there was a hiccup it would have been in PayPal's system, as that part of the transaction does not touch our end. Did you try to use the "Send Money" feature in PayPal? If so, just check for typos, etc.

Using "Send Money" you will type in:

[email protected] as the recipient. Looks like you have it correct in your message above. Please retry Jerry.
Bill Basler

THE RAZZ

hicup issue

Post by THE RAZZ » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:29 am

Bill,
This is the message that pops up when I try using the address.

"The email address or phone number you have entered is invalid. Remember to include area code. Please check your entry and try again."

Any suggestions are welcome. Thx. Jerry

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Oct 17, 2006 11:23 am

Jerry:

I went through this step-by-step and it seems to be working from my end. That's not to say you're not having problems. I'm just trying to troubleshoot.

1. Log into your PayPal account as you always do by visiting PayPal.com and entering in your user name and password.
2. Click the "SEND MONEY" tab at the top of the screen.
3. In the "Recipient's Email" field type [email protected].
4. In the Amount field, enter $22.00
5. In the "Category of Purchase" field, pull down the menu to "Goods (other)"
6. Enter in an email ubject and note (optional)
7. Click "Continue"
You should be at a screen that shows you the payment details, Source of Funds, and Shipping Info.

Correct? Are you able to get this far? If not, please double-check the email address: [email protected] (two bb's, one s in basler. chris hyphen craft, and a .org, not a .com.

I am hoping this allows you to get the transaction cmpleted. Other than these thoughts, I am stumped.
Bill Basler

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:04 pm

Bill,
Thx for the quick response. Two times I processed the purchase exactly as you outlined. I did a cut and paste of the [email protected] which normally works. I'll type that this time.

Sorry to be a bother. If it doesn't work this time, I'll send payment smail mail and be done with it.

Thx. Jerry

THE RAZZ

paypal payment

Post by THE RAZZ » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:11 pm

Bill,
The Paypal transaction worked this time.

This time, I typed in [email protected] not using cut and paste. Go figure?!

Thanks for everything. Jerry

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Oct 17, 2006 10:02 pm

Excellent. I see the transaction from my end. I will have Patty process this order tomorrow and get out to you right away.
Bill Basler

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:26 am

I received my DVD-1 Archive Film Series a couple of days ago and have been enjoying it ever since. This is a well put together DVD video showing 3 very interesting periods in Chris Craft history. You are missing out if you don't get one.

I got a kick out of the 22-step process involved in starting the Gray Marine diesel engines used in the WW2 landing craft. (We need to get these troops on shore ASAP but first follow this easy 22-step starting routine). What a blast.

The early 50's Kit Boat promotional shows a small one being delivered and assembled. It shows some of the express cruisers that were offered including one very similar to Dan's.

You should get a copy. It's well worth the 22 bucks.

Al

THE RAZZ

CC DVD

Post by THE RAZZ » Wed Oct 25, 2006 8:04 pm

Al,
Thanks. Mine came last week. Great stuff.

I always follow your remarks and hope your boat is coming together OK. For my part, I pickled the engine two weeks ago but may go out for a run up the Sacramento River next week.....if the weather is this nice. Also, I'm thinking of an "un-regatta" New Years day in the Delta calling it The Polar Bear cruise. You know, half a dozen woodies out for a ride New Years day. What a heck of a way to start the new year.

My plan during the winter is to take the cover-boards all the way down, bleach, Smith's, stain then 12 coats of varnish. The sides need a bright coat once a year too. The way I work, that two week project will last until March no doubt.

I don't know if you've been following the thread re MSD ignition for our 6 volt boats, but I want to do the MSD sea trial(s) before Spring Fling. So much to do, so little time to do it......I don't have a clue how i got anything done working.

Happy Halloween, and the best you and your family

Cheers, JerryT

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:30 pm

Al, and Jerry, I loved the scene in the Kit Boat film where Mom, Dad, and Junior are on the back porch with Mom catching up on the mending. And the advertisements on the side of the delivery truck. Very fifties. And very humorous.
Bill Basler

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:04 pm

Bill, actually, that part brought back fond childhood memories. It was never quite that perfect though. Only in the movies. I liked the 20's dress code, with some of the factory workers wearing white shirts and ties. Did you notice that?

Jerry, I'll be pickling mine in late November unless I start seeing ice sooner. We plan to take her out to watch the eagles go fly fishing on the river a couple of times, hopefully. I'll try to get some pics.

Progress on the old dame has been slow due to the weather around here. As soon as I get the freshly chromed hardware back on her I'll post some pics of her too.

Al

P.S. Jerry, I have been following your thread on the ignition issue. That sounds very interesting and promising. I'm curious if that system will affect your battery capacity and charging system.
Last edited by Al Benton on Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:12 pm

Yes. All of these different periods are interesting in their own ways. It makes me wonder what people will say about today 50 years from now. I have been busy scanning materials from the Club archive in an effort to get these online and accessible...I know, I know...I wish it could be soon also, but there is a ton of work to do. I ran across a black binder in the archive that is fascinating. It is a Chris-Craft Factory binder from the late forties or early fifties with instructions on how to choose a good plant location in Europe..proximity to railways, skilled labor, etc. There are all sorts of photos in this binder from various factories across the US, each used as examples of something that was done well...the upholstery shop from one factory, the raw wood storage from another, etc.

In one of the photos, there is a sign very prominently located...one of the "motivational" messages that many of us have seen in office or manufacturing environments. The sign says: "None of you were runningon your way in to work...Why run on your way out."

Hah. I got a chuckle out of that for some reason.
Bill Basler

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:22 pm

Bill, some things never change. That sign would fit right in today except now it would be considered harassment.

Al

ed laning

Post by ed laning » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:34 am

................or the sign would be written in Chinese. Ed
1978 22' CC Dory outboard

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Thu Oct 26, 2006 7:55 am

..........or, workers would write the sign to owners now "running" to manufacture off shore!

THE RAZZ

MSD amps

Post by THE RAZZ » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:30 am

Al,
The MSD 6 to 12 volt booster (PN8989) provides 8 amps for the 12 volt coil well within 20 amp limit of the original Autolight generator.

One alternative to the booster (out of production for lack of demand) maybe converting the 6 volt generator to 12 volts ($100?!), leave the 6 volt starter (in accordance with other threads on BBuzz), paint the new coil like the original, swap points for a Pertronix sensor, change s plug wires to low resistance ones and change l. bulbs reducing the $600 cost to $500.

After sea trials we'll see if any of this makes sense. Its possible its all commercial hype yielding nothing while costing big $$$. Curently (so to speak) the KB (with stock 6 volt ignition) turns a 13X13 prop at 3600 RPM (3800 redlline).

None of this makes practical sense unless you're rooted in Rebel Without A Cause and American Graffiti where guys have 500HP under the hood so they can idling around town sounding bad, if you know what i mean. If you don't have "rep," what do you have?!

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:30 am

My guess is that we're getting a little too political with this. Oh, just one more... If "Fair Trade Agreements" were even somewhat equitable we wouldn't have anything to poke fun at.

Back to the DVD. Everyone should order one of these. Not only would it support the Club but you will enjoy the heck out of it. Another part I thought was very interesting and educational was seeing first hand the fairing process, scraping, sanding, etc. on the sides and decks, not only on runabouts but also on their cruisers as well.

Al

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Thu Oct 26, 2006 8:37 am

Thanks Al. The revenue that this DVD can bring in for the Club is nothing to sneeze at. Things like this are necessary to fund more web initiatives, the 6 Brass Bells per year that some of you indicated you would like etc.

As for the scraping and fairing, you'll notice the speed of the film clips in those segments was about 2x. Either that or those were the fastest guys ever. Maybe that's why they were "running on their way out." They were darned tired :D
Bill Basler

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Oct 26, 2006 11:24 am

Hey Bill, if they worked that fast all day they would probably have to crawl to the exit.

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:56 am

Just a reminder that we have a numbee of DVDs left and a few Album of Chris-Craft's. These make perfect gifts for the wood boat enthusiast. We'll do our best to process any orders that we receive, and get them shipped in time for Christmas.
Bill Basler