Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Chris-Craft Plant Inspector Mystery

Are you in need of information regarding "the way it was?" Or are you are a walking "who's-who" of Chris-Craft history? Share what you don't know—or do know here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

Strong 1

Post by Strong 1 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:21 pm

Al,

Very interesting. I don't know how effective this forward vent may have been but personally I like the thought of moving potentially stagnant air from the bow towards the stern with air pressure (albeit it slight) from this vent. I suppose an engineer could tell us how effective this might have been if at all.

Dan

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:59 pm

Al,
re- Makes you wonder if any of the pre-war barrelback models had the same forward vent tube as well.

No, the BBs didn't have that forward vent.

I've taken some serious water (unplanned) over the bow occasionally. I can't imagine getting wetter unless it was with this vent tube.....yikes!

Jerry
1942 17' barrelback 71923
1987 21' CC Stinger

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Thu Dec 17, 2009 4:13 pm

Jerry,

Your '42 BB has the same nav light but is set back from the bow. Does your deck have a hole for it or is it solid under the light? Of course there's a hole for the wires.

Al

THE RAZZ

Post by THE RAZZ » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:20 pm

Hi Al,
The hole is just big enough for the light wire. That fit is tight; I've never taken water on through that hole. And, that's a good thing.

One time, on the Delta with Easterly winds at 25-30 and the tide was ebbing to the West. Not good. Running with seas the height of the Razz freeboads we'd plow (cruiser like) with the waves.

I do have a need for speed and I got what I deserved. Powering up a little, Razz crested a huge wave. My life passed before my eyes. In a nano second and I promised never ever to do that again. Razz tettered on that crest until the bow dropped. I knew we were going down. It was The Poseiden Adventure. The wall of water from hell came over the bow. What windshield? This torrent landed dead center in the front cockpit. Wow. There was so much water the bottom of my socks were wet.

I can't imagine what would happen with a big forward deck vent hole.

Merry Christmas and HNY!
Jerry
1942 17' barrelback 71923
1987 21' CC Stinger

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:03 pm

Thanks for that, Jerry,

I don't plan on ever being out in high seas once mine is sea worthy. We get some large, strange wakes occasionally when large yachts are passing in opposite directions on each side but I like to stay home on windy days.

Those slots on each side of the nav light aren't big but plunging into a wall of water would probably be like a fire hose had there been a vent hole.

Well, you've been there, done that and survived for another adventure but I don't think I would try that one again.

Merry Christmas to you and yours as well.HNY

Al

Hokietown

16' Runabout reg signed by Boerma

Post by Hokietown » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:37 pm

Hi,
Just starting my project on a '47 16 Rocket and recently received my research packet from the Mariner's Museum in Va. Studying it, its signed by Mr. Forrest G Boerma 5/22/47. Being a fan of history, I started searching for him online and of course came upon his info.

A little more about my rocket, it's stripped of paint and as I was trying to determine what color it may have been, I started to notice little hiddne areas of the atomic blue. Looks like the research shows the atomic blue ones had the rocket graphic on the side. Of course I'd like to re-do it to the original but also very much like the stain natural option.

Looking forward to making progress on it.