Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Thompson reunion

This is a general discussion area for those who are interested in Chris-Craft's connection with the legendary marque, Thompson.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

qukalake

Thompson reunion

Post by qukalake » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:41 pm

Gent's, I just attended the Thompson annual reunion in Solon, NY just to the east of Cortland. We had a great time, pleanty of food, and alot of stories from the "ol timers". Several of the family members were on hand, and a number of people brought their Thompson's. Pics are attached or embedded? I was there on behalf of the Finger Lakes Boating Museum, because we have about 8 Thompson's in our collection. Of all the Finger Lake boat building companies, Thompson was second behind Penn Yan.

Dennis

1956 C~C Holiday
Good manners,
a gift you give yourself

Wilson Wright

Outboard Kits

Post by Wilson Wright » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:02 am

There was a picture of one of these bigger kits in a very early Brass Bell and I seem to recall a story about one in a later issue. Could be in the archives.

Then there was that oft told story about father and son who built one in the basement...When all done mother was invited to look. "Nice boat", she says. "Now how you going to get it out of here ?"
Wilson Wright
Executive Director Emeritus
Chris-Craft Antique Boat Club

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:54 am

Wilson,

These are Thompsons, not Chris-Craft Kit Boats. The top photos do look amazingly like some of the Kit Boat Cruisers though.

That story sounds like something my dad did once. He built a roof rack for his 1937 Chevy while it was parked in the garage. It wouldn't fit through the door.

Dennis, thanks for posting those photos. The Thompsons look great. I had one for a short period but let it slip away. Wish I would have kept it now.

Al

Wilson Wright

Kit Boats.

Post by Wilson Wright » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:30 pm

Not sure how Thompson's got in the picture since I've deleted the original message but as I recall it from this morning it was a series of posts about 23' Chris Craft outbnoard kit boats and even some remarks about by Herb Pocklington at a recent Seattle Symposium about Chris Craft boat kits and Cavaliers.

Hope I didn't just dream all that stuff...but old age and senility could be overtaking me.
Wilson Wright

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Wilson,

Believe me, you're fine. The post on Kit Boats was indeed this morning. It's in Wood Hulls, Research Related. Just click on this, Kit Boats

Wilson Wright

Boat Kits

Post by Wilson Wright » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:05 pm

Al:

Just like I remember it...So where did the Thomson reference come from ??

Wilson Wright

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:14 pm

Wilson,

We are posting in the Thompson Boat thread as we speak. Scroll up to the top herein. This subject is Thompson Reunion.

Al

Wilson Wright

Thompson boats/Chris kits

Post by Wilson Wright » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:31 pm

Al:

I have no idea how my response on Chris boat kits got in the Thompson thread...Computers act in strange and mysterious ways...

Anyhow...My apologies to all.

Wilson Wright

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:35 pm

Wilson,

Don't fret my friend. I get lost around here myself. You probably went straight to one of the new posts from the Home page. It happened to be this one and the first photo looked like one of the kit boats. Not to worry.

Al

Thommyboy

Post by Thommyboy » Wed Jun 10, 2009 3:40 pm

I had a telephone call from Ted Thompson, Jr. and his wife Gloria about a week before the gathering to invite me. Alas, I had already made plans for a vintage boating cruising weekend in Missouri (which was a blast).

Hope it was a good event.

Ted reminded me again of a weekend he had with my father and Ken Johnson. They planted trees in northern Marinette County, near Peshtigo, WI. This was prior to Ted's move to Cortland in 1958.

Andreas