Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Chrysler Km 75hp 1930

Keeping your powerboat under power is a lot easier with good advice. Post your power systems questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

steve bunda

Chrysler Km 75hp 1930

Post by steve bunda » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:53 pm

Pictured is the engine in a 1930 Chris Craft Model 100 20 foot triple , Question , What would be the correct carb for this engine and how many KM's were made? Also which Chris Craft boats recived this Chrysler engine?thanks, steve

evansjw44

Chrysler

Post by evansjw44 » Sat Jan 24, 2009 12:26 pm

That looks a lot like a Chysrler Ace. I have some carb data that goes back to 1934 that lists the first Aces. Does you engine have a tag on the rear engine mount casting tha identifies it as a Chrysler? Maybe its an M2. I have carb data for an M2.

Looking at the pictue again I see a downdraft carb. Is that so? Maybe the manifild id aftermarket?
Jim Evans

drrot

Post by drrot » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:21 pm

My book says KM's were built from 6/23/1930-4/14/1931
190CID 70HP@3200Rpm They built 1356 of them from KM-196 to KM-1552

steve bunda

Model 100 KM

Post by steve bunda » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:53 am

Thankyou for the info on the engine, I have a few boats in the barn and I am trying to decide which boat to restore to the highest standards. I am leaning toward this boat because it still has the original engine bottom , and hardware.steve

Don Ayers
Club Executive Team

Post by Don Ayers » Sun Jan 25, 2009 5:10 pm

Here you go.

Additional info
Don Ayers
1959 Riva Ariston
www.RivaForum.org
www.barrelback.com

mattbyrne

Post by mattbyrne » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:23 pm

Here is a link to a PDF with more Chrysler info. This info came from an old Gar Wood Society newsletter.

www.mrbtech.com/ChryslerEngineSpecs.pdf

steve bunda

1930 KM

Post by steve bunda » Mon Jan 26, 2009 7:42 pm

To All, thanks for the info on the Chryslers, I have been told many models were experimental engines,I think due to the rarity one should restore the boat as original. I wonder who is the engine Guru on the rebuilding of these? thanks,steve,,, ps. Chris Smith must have been a genius when he cut the deal with Hercules, anyone have any good stories on that?

Wood Commander

Post by Wood Commander » Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:51 pm

I've always wondered about the landing craft angle from World War II.
Chris Craft designed their own landing craft, but according to Chris Craft's side of the story, (as told in J. Rodengen's "The Legend of Chris Craft") they won the government landing craft competition but drowned out one engine doing so and the government added another last minute, tack- on test because they had invested money in Higgins, I believe.
So Higgins got the contract, but Chris Craft built many of the Higgins design under license for the war effort.

So I often wondered, if indeed Hercules engines were used in the landing craft, there would have been many engines shipped from Canton, Ohio to different Chris Craft plants under government contract.
And at the end of the war, could there have been left over engines awaiting landing craft that were no longer needed or being built? Possibly available at a bargain surplus price?

This is of course, all conjecture. I don't even know if the landing craft used Hercules/Chris Craft engines. And even if they did, they would have probably all been of the same size, whereas Chris Craft used at least four different sizes- A and B, K, M and W's.

It would be great to learn more about this!
Bret

1953 35' Commander "Adonis III"

1970 23' lancer project

evansjw44

Surplus

Post by evansjw44 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 9:50 am

After World War II there was an enormous amount of surplus everything. The Herc and Continientals powered every imagineable vehicle and machine. Thye must have been really cheap.

The old 6-71 Graymarine diesel was another surplus item that was plentiful. You could also buy some surplus Allison V-12s if you wanted to power your hydroplane.
Jim Evans