Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Towing tubes/skiers. 1961 CC Ski Boat

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

georgiaski

Towing tubes/skiers. 1961 CC Ski Boat

Post by georgiaski » Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:04 pm

Gents,

Need a sanity check before I risk doing some serious damage to the boat.

I never put much thought into it until some friends asked if they could go tubing behind my 1961 CC Ski boat. Can the chrome ring on the stern be used for towing tubes/skiers? I have always thought it is simply a hoist point.

If it can not be used for tubing/sking and only for hoisting, is there an after market ski pole that I need to acquire? Information on said ski pole would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Matt

mfine

Re: Towing tubes/skiers. 1961 CC Ski Boat

Post by mfine » Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:40 am

The ski pole should mount to the front of the engine, or on a frame just in front of it. Check with Jim Staib at fine wood boats.

Tom Gruenauer

Post by Tom Gruenauer » Fri Apr 29, 2016 7:57 am

This is out of a 1981 Chris Craft Ski Boat.
Attachments
1981skimount.jpg

georgiaski

Post by georgiaski » Fri Apr 29, 2016 8:45 am

Thanks gents. Just for clarification purposes it is NOT advised to tow tube/skies from chrome ring on stern?

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:02 am

It is NOT advised. Like you mentioned earlier, it is a lift point, strengthened and connected to the keel for vertical support. Towing puts horizontal stress on the ring and can cause damage to your deck.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

georgiaski

Post by georgiaski » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:12 am

Thanks Chad, just wanted to confirm my own reservations on its purpose.

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:34 pm

While the transom lifting ring is not designed for towing, it can handle low horizontal stresses. We have used the transom eye on our '69 Ski Boat (granted it is fiberglass) for towing tubes with a single adult or two small kiddos (never pulling hard, and always under 200 lbs... I would definitely NOT pull a skier as slalom skiers can pull as hard as another boat! I have experienced a slalom skier actually pull hard enough to change the direction of travel in a 21 foot jet boat!!

Depending on your motor the boat might have been available with either a front mount or a rear mounted ski poll option. Our 327Q has the ski mount bracketry on the back of the motor over the transmission.
Brian Flaherty
1969 Chris-Craft Cavalier 17 Ski Boat "TUPPERWARE"

"You'll never discover great lands, with your feet planted in the sand"

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:31 am

I agree with all of the warnings that have already been posted.
I am restoring a a 16 foot 1946 Chriscraft. That boat was used for skiing for many years, but not used "hard", (light people - no extreme tricks). It's lifting eye was not damaged. Tubing puts much less strain on the robe.
Depending on your tolerance for risk and your assessment of the possible consequences of misusing the lifting eye for moderate tubing, it is your choice.
I have not seen reports of damage.
Hull # 16-R-OX2 (March 1946)
Engine 1B #26564

That's me 1950 - already a CC lover!

Howard Lehman

Post by Howard Lehman » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:19 am

Hi, as others have stated, the lifting ring apparatus is designed for lifting up, and when used to pull skiers the stress of the pull can crack the wood decking that the hole for the lifting ring apparatus fits into. However, I have had a steel plate fabricated for several boats that attached to the upper frame of the top transom bow with another smaller plate welded 90 degrees to the longer flat plate with a hole that the rod of the lifting ring fits through. The hole in the smaller plate is just large enough for the rod of the lifting ring to fit through, and the hole in the deck large enough so that the chrome ring doesn't touch the wood. The chrome trim ring covers the enlarged hole so that isn't seen. If done this way, the plates don't allow any movement of that rod. I believe this can allow pulling tubes, and maybe younger skiers, but NEVER slalom skiers as that would put too much pressure on the transom. I recommend this method only for light pulling loads, and always caution the boat owner of the risk to the wood if the chrome lifting ring can ever make contact with the wood of the aft deck. Of course, too much tension isn't good for the transom framing, as that also wasn't designed for these forces. The proper way to pull experienced skiers, and especially slalom skiers is with the ski pole attached to the engine as the picture illustrates. These can still be found (Jim Staib, several were advertised in Woody Boater Classified at one time), can be spendy, but are the really only correct way to pull skiers whose action and tricks can put lots of stress on the boat. But I believe when properly fastened, sealed and painted, these metal plates as described above can work for pulling low stress and low tension loads caused by smaller children in tubes or lighter folks using two water skis, as long as the transom framing is absolutely sound, correctly fastened and well supported. Just a thought. Regards, Howard

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Mon May 23, 2016 2:01 am

Matt,

If you have a flywheel forward V8 (283/307/327/350) I may have your solution! I have spent a long time modeling up the ski tow bracket off my 327Q (in our '69 Cavalier Ski Boat) and have drawings submitted to local fab shop for inspection and quoting. Eventually I will be offering to sell the drawing package or sell a complete reproduction ski tow bracket assmebly!
Attachments
image.jpg
Brian Flaherty

jim g

Post by jim g » Mon May 23, 2016 5:12 pm

This is the ski tow for the 283 flywheel forward. The ski tows are different for each chevy based model V-8. The flywheel forward 283 ski tow will not fit on a Q series. While there both flywheel forward they are vastly different engines.
Attachments
IMG_3602.jpg

bflaherty

Post by bflaherty » Tue May 24, 2016 1:44 am

jim g wrote:This is the ski tow for the 283 flywheel forward. The ski tows are different for each chevy based model V-8. The flywheel forward 283 ski tow will not fit on a Q series. While there both flywheel forward they are vastly different engines.
Jim, thanks for the clarification! I didn't realize the 283 was so different. I guess my bracket will work for the 307/327/350 Q series motors that are flywheel forward with the bracket mounted above the transmission..
Brian Flaherty