Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Horn ring clearance

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Vogt, Al Benton, Don Ayers

Bcaillet

Horn ring clearance

Post by Bcaillet » Fri May 01, 2015 6:59 pm

I am putting a steering column back together with throttle and horn ring. I bought the boat already taken apart so didn't see how it was to begin with. I have things pretty well figured out but in the way I have it now, the horn ring contacts the spoke of the steering wheel and will probably chip the finish.

The steering wheel is a two spoke wheel with center throttle lever and horn ring on a 1954, 18ft Riviera.

Just curious if there is another part I am missing to limit the horn ring travel and prevent contact.

Thanks for any info.

Bill

Doug P

Re: Horn ring clearance

Post by Doug P » Sat May 02, 2015 3:23 pm

A spring

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Sat May 02, 2015 3:58 pm

steering.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bcaillet

Post by Bcaillet » Sun May 03, 2015 2:01 pm

Thanks for the note Doug. Mine is a bit different. I have the throttle lever mounted on top of the same shaft you have shown. I do however have a ring similar to the one shown in the picture down the shaft. I don't have a home for it so that may be the missing link. I will try to see if it snaps into position somewhere and helps the situation.

Bill

jim g

Post by jim g » Thu May 14, 2015 7:13 pm

There's a foam insulator that goes inside the horn ring that hold it away from the steering wheel. With out the insulator the boat will honk as you go down the lake or highway. Can you post a picture of everything you have then I can tell if your missing anything else.