Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Gemmer Steering Box removal

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Vogt, Al Benton, Don Ayers

rsundstrom

Gemmer Steering Box removal

Post by rsundstrom » Sat Jun 14, 2014 3:07 pm

I am removing my helm and am trying to figure out the best approach in removing the Gemmer Steering box. (Actually I'm removing the whole Helm station), but I want to change the seals in the steering box as they are leaking. The questions I have are;

1. The pipe from the Gemmer steering box going down to the linkage arm. Is it as simple as removing the clamp on the linkage arm, (thought is I can remove the bolt, and take the clamp off, and take the whole assembly out).

2. Do I need to keep the rudders in a straight position when I remove this or does that even matter? (As long as I put it back in the same position as it came out.)
steering box leak.jpg
Steering pipe in question.jpg
Steering column clamp.jpg
Steering linkage arm.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!
H.L Mencken.

Jim Godlewski

Re: Gemmer Steering Box removal

Post by Jim Godlewski » Wed Jun 25, 2014 4:17 pm

Hello,
Unfortunately I am not familiar with your helm set up so I cannot say on question # 1
My linkage on my 56 Sportsman was held to the steering gear arm with a spring inside the pipe. Yours looks different.

question #2
I did not worry about the rudder for disassembly. When I reassembled, I set the rudder straight (eyeball) and then turned the steering wheel all the way right and all the way left counting how many turns it took. Then brought the wheel back half way and connected the linkage at that location. Seemed to work out OK.
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152
https://1956chriscraftsportsman.shutterfly.com/

rsundstrom

Re: Gemmer Steering Box removal

Post by rsundstrom » Wed Jul 02, 2014 8:54 pm

Thanks Jim :D I have to remove the engines anyway, so for now I'm just going to be at a stand still with this until I have my motors removed, it will be easier to access it then. Thanks again.
1955 Sedan W/Flybridge

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats!
H.L Mencken.