Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

trying not to break the steering wheel

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

iwally

trying not to break the steering wheel

Post by iwally » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:02 am

steering_wheel.JPG
Well got sidetracked for a while but it's now time to get back to removing the steering wheel - which I asked about some time ago and received some nice advice.

Today I managed to remove the throttle lever and rod from the assembly. There is no nut (that holds the wheel on) visible at this point.

When I tried to press in and rotate counter-clockwise to remove the horn ring - it would not budge under moderate force. Before I break this thing .. thought I'd ask around to confirm that this procedure will work with the wheel this photo.

From Jim (last post):
That is not a Shellar wheel.
Dis-Connect the linkage and horn wire as said before.
Pull the throttle lever out.
>>>>>> Rotate the horn ring counter clockwise and remove. <<<<<<<<<<<<<<
Take photos.
Remove the 3 screws holding the horn parts in.
Loosen the nut in the center.
Say a prayer.
Try to remove the wheel. Chances are it is stuck. Search old posts for methods to remove the wheel.
Maybe I'm just looking for reassurance before putting more pressure on it. I sure can't see anything else to loosen or any other way to do this.

jim g

Re: trying not to break the steering wheel

Post by jim g » Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:07 pm

You have the correct procedure. Get some wd-40 and with the straw spray behind the horn ring and that will help. You have some spring load clips that are probably rusty and need a little help. But it should not break. Put preasure on the bars right were they come out of the center to turn.

iwally

Post by iwally » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:00 am

thanks for the confirmation - sprayed even more wd-40 yesterday and this morning.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:06 am

try PB blaster too.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

iwally

Post by iwally » Sat Jan 11, 2014 4:59 pm

SUCCESS! It finally turned! Two person operation - one to press, one to turn.

Thanks to all who helped!!

re PB Blaster - you know, I went to the local auto parts store to buy PB and the folks there persuaded me to buy this new souped up penetrating oil version of WD-40 instead of the PB which they also sold. Was kind of funny at the time because three store employees surrounded me and were praising it to the hilt; I mean there was real emotion on the subject. I thought: either these people are really bored or there is one heck of a spiff on this can of oil or this is pretty good stuff. What could I say? I bought it.

I can't really give a comparison since I haven't used the PB but the part is off so I guess it worked.

jfrprops

Post by jfrprops » Sat Jan 11, 2014 6:06 pm

Glad you got that thing loose....and to be certain we all need to pay attention when new stuff comes out to do old jobs....maybe that stuff is better? Guys I know bought some foam type stuff a few years back and swore by it...but at that time you had to buy a case of it at a time???

There are lots of good squirt stuff and goops out there and only dummies fail to embrace new stuff.

John in Va.
1980 Fairchild Scout 30
19?? custom Argentine Runabout 16'
1954 Whirlwind deluxe dual ckpt 16'
1921 Old Town Charles River 17' (founding Captain, James River Batteau Festival)

quitchabitchin

Post by quitchabitchin » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:52 am

I was in the automotive business and have tried all types of penetrating oils. Hands down, PEN from State Chemical Co. is the best I've ever used. It smells terrible, but will break anything loose, and in a hurry. It is hard to find, you'll probably never see it on a shelf, but may be able to order it through a business. State makes hundreds of products, mostly janitorial, but most everything they make is industrial grade and very good.
FLASH1969 Chris Craft Cavalier Ski-230 HP 327Q

CCABC Board of Directors Member

iwally

Post by iwally » Sun Jan 12, 2014 8:55 am

Ha. Having come close to tears, cursing fate and pleading with God on numerous occasions trying to separate one metal piece from another - I can see how these ointments generate enthusiasm. I'm glad to hear about any and all such that work!