Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Steering Column Spring

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Al Benton, Don Ayers, Don Vogt

GWelty

Steering Column Spring

Post by GWelty » Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:54 pm

I have a 56 Continental and at the top of the steering shaft is a spring. Can anyone tell me the purpose of the spring? I think my steering wheel is a dodge.

Pete DeVito

Re: Steering Column Spring

Post by Pete DeVito » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:51 pm

Once you have installed the steering column and the bearing along with the inner race to the bearing in the top of the column the springs goes on before the wheel.
See the photo below I have taken a photo with the spring going on (lower photo) and then I put the nut (top photo) on just so you can see it. As you can see the spring will hold pressure against the inner race of the bearing.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Past Project 1948 17' Deluxe
Past Project 1957 19' Capri
Future Project 1955 17' Special Sportsman

GWelty

Re: Steering Column Spring

Post by GWelty » Wed Aug 14, 2013 8:17 pm

knotty48 wrote:Once you have installed the steering column and the bearing along with the inner race to the bearing in the top of the column the springs goes on before the wheel.
See the photo below I have taken a photo with the spring going on (lower photo) and then I put the nut (top photo) on just so you can see it. As you can see the spring will hold pressure against the inner race of the bearing.
Thanks, now I see that my bearing has come apart and no longer in place. Oh well another part to find.