Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

fastenings on 56 sportsman

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Don Vogt, Al Benton

jerryv

fastenings on 56 sportsman

Post by jerryv » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:22 am

Greetings. I recently purchased a 1956 CC special sportsman. It underwent a restoration but all of the screws were replaced with the wrong types. Would someone please tell me what are the correct screws for fattening hardware, chrome,rub rail and battens?
Thank you.
Jerry

JohnKadimik

Re: fastenings on 56 sportsman

Post by JohnKadimik » Tue Apr 30, 2013 12:24 pm

Reed & Prince Chrome plated brass.

Jim Godlewski

Post by Jim Godlewski » Fri May 10, 2013 10:50 am

Kinda odd the wrong screws were used, but maybe not. How did the rest of the work turn out?
We used stainless phillips from the local hardware and nobody has complained yet. I will have to confirm on the oval or flat head.
As far as the battens... those screws should be silicon bronze and covered with bungs, right?
1956 17 Sportsman CC-17-2310
1930 Model 100 7152
https://1956chriscraftsportsman.shutterfly.com/

jerryv

Post by jerryv » Mon May 13, 2013 7:38 pm

Jim Godlewski wrote:Kinda odd the wrong screws were used, but maybe not. How did the rest of the work turn out?
We used stainless phillips from the local hardware and nobody has complained yet. I will have to confirm on the oval or flat head.
As far as the battens... those screws should be silicon bronze and covered with bungs, right?
Much about this boat is incorrect.The screws used were square drive flat head. The stain was incorrect. The bottom color was not right. The survey mentioned all of this and said it was a solid boat. If I could get it for 8 k it would be a great deal. Which I was able to do.

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Tue May 14, 2013 12:26 am

The screws used were Robertson screws, mainly used by Canadians....and a much better screw :D