Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Question about my windlass

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Vogt, Al Benton, Don Ayers

parroteyes

Post by parroteyes » Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:13 pm

I'm not a cruiser guy but fish from a 22' boat in the inner coastal. Tides run strongly, passing boats raise chop and long rodes are not practical. Dragging an anchor through the fragile bottom is just plain thoughtless, damaging the grasses etc.

Ten feet of heavy chain is very helpful. As noted the chain acts as an elastic line in the chop, allowing the bow to rise without lifting the anchor. Ten feet of chain is worth at least fifty feet of rode. It cusions the jerk on both the anchor and the boat.

I don't have a windlass so I can't appreciate what you guys are dealing with. All I'm saying is that solutions without chain can't be as good.
Hull # 16-R-OX2 (March 1946)
Engine 1B #26564

That's me 1950 - already a CC lover!

Doug P

Post by Doug P » Wed Jul 18, 2012 10:13 pm

parroteyes wrote:I'm not a cruiser guy but fish from a 22' boat in the inner coastal. Tides run strongly, passing boats raise chop and long rodes are not practical. Dragging an anchor through the fragile bottom is just plain thoughtless, damaging the grasses etc.

Ten feet of heavy chain is very helpful. As noted the chain acts as an elastic line in the chop, allowing the bow to rise without lifting the anchor. Ten feet of chain is worth at least fifty feet of rode. It cusions the jerk on both the anchor and the boat.

I don't have a windlass so I can't appreciate what you guys are dealing with. All I'm saying is that solutions without chain can't be as good.
Parroteyes....I won't ask. :roll:
But maybe a little more comfort, while you are fishing, would be a line snubber.
Doug