Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Anchor Roller comments wanted

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Vogt, Al Benton, Don Ayers

BrokenRule2

Anchor Roller comments wanted

Post by BrokenRule2 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:24 am

I would like to get some feedback on adding an anchor roller to our 32' Connie. I have two options and it is a toss up on which one to go with. Also, If I go with the hinged roller I am not sure how it mounts.
Currently
Fixed bronze
Hinged, I don't think this is correct...
Or does it mount his way, note the base?
or this way so the arm rests on the base?

As always, thanks for your comments.

Mike

Carefree67

Post by Carefree67 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:36 am

Mike, We just got our windlass working and were practicing the fine art of anchoring just last weekend! Your last 2 pics show the right mountin position, but the bases are each about 4" too far forward. Looking at the 3 rd pic, leaving everything as is, just place the hinged base bach to the inside edge of the toe rail. The other base would the mount on the. Deck, althoutgh you may be limited by the position of your samson post. You would also want to get another end plate/holder for the very outsine edge of your toe rail when you have the roller "extended.". We have a cruise this weekend, so if you need, I can take a pic of ours to send to you.
1967 36' Crusader

Carefree67

Post by Carefree67 » Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:41 am

Mike, correction. The 3rd overall pic is the correct placement. My prev reply was referring to the 3rd pic of the hinged roller. You will just need the other metal piece for your decking rather than the toe rail. Basically the thing shoud sound like a big door knocker any way you flip it.
1967 36' Crusader

BrokenRule2

Re: Anchor Roller comments wanted

Post by BrokenRule2 » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:20 pm

Solution was found without drilling any holes in the boat - number one rule per the wife. Not anchor rollers or anchors hanging over the dock number one rule from the marina's management. Also, the rollers pictured would not protect the boat from the anchor. I tired a small roller on the end of the board but it did not work with the chain. I needed a real roller.

I came up with a removable anchor roller made from reclaimed 1960 Chris-Craft wood, used roller and teak from a swap meet. The teak hides the metal roller and keeps the anchor away from the bow. Works great.

Hard to see but the small U shaped part fits under the post, U facing forward, on top of the large board to lock it in. Lines can still wrap around the post.

Just an idea for you fellow cruiser.
1959 40' Connie "Lucky Girl" saga of a free boat!