Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Drag Link Plug

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mbigpops

Drag Link Plug

Post by mbigpops » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:36 pm

After quite a struggle I was able to remove the drag link plug and get the pitman arm and components removed. I did however maul the plug pretty badly and need to replace it. It is 1 1/8 inches in diameter and 3/4 inches long. Does anyone know where I can find this?
Also, there is a threaded hole in the center of the plug with nothing in it. What is this for? Maybe a grease fitting?
Mark

Bill Basler

Post by Bill Basler » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:27 am

I had the same problem, and ultimately had to turn this task over to my machinist friend, who had bigger, better torches than I have to get the thing removed. My friend is kind of an old school machinist...and as I recall he told me that the threads on a lot of these old pieces of machinery were non-standard...by today's standards. In other words the thread pitch was different than what you would find today.

Bratton's Auto Parts has them, as does Snyders. See: http://www.snydersantiqueauto.com/483
Bill Basler

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:45 am

The thread size is an issue. I have scoured the internet and no one has 18 or 19 TPI bolts, screws or threaded rod.
Any help would be appreciated.
Mark

George Emmanuel

Pitman arm plug

Post by George Emmanuel » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:11 am

To make one of those is an easy machining job on a lathe. I doubt seriously that the thread pitch is unusual but it could be. It's a threaded plug with a concave end to allow for the ball and the other end is slotted to allow for the cotter pin. Right now I have the linkage out of my Sportsman. I'll check the diameter and thread and make a reply this evening

If you cannot find one, e-mail me and I'll make it unless it is an unusual pitch.
[email protected]

mbigpops

Post by mbigpops » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:55 pm

George,

I did some additional research and there is a standard called UNEF - for extra fine threads. If you scroll down on this site there is a chart:
http://mdmetric.com/tech/thddat9.htm

Even with this knowledge there doesn not appear to be anything readily available in 1 1/8-18 TPI out there.

Thanks for the offer - you may very well be hearing from me.

Mark