Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Throttle Lever Disassembly

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

mstover

Post by mstover » Mon May 18, 2009 6:38 am

I need to take the crome throttle piece on the steering column off to get it re-cromed, but I can figure out how. Don't need to take the wheel or any thing else off at this time. This is on 57 CC Runabout. Can anyone assist?

Marty

SJHanson

Post by SJHanson » Mon May 18, 2009 10:13 am

Marty - The 2007 Fall (pg 52 - 55)Issue of the Brass Bell has a good description and illustrations on the steering gear, throttle, horn button assembly. I found it searching the Archives for "steering gear". Hope this helps - Steve

Chad Durren

Post by Chad Durren » Mon May 18, 2009 10:50 am

There is a thin throttle rod that runs through the center of your steering column. It attaches to the under side of your throttle lever and pops out the back of the steering gear. To remove the rod, disconnect the throttle clamp and the wire running to your horn relay. Then slide it out. Don't pry the button off.

I think Bill has some better shots.
1952 CC 18' Sportsman
1969 CC 19' Commander Super Sport

mstover

Post by mstover » Mon May 18, 2009 6:54 pm

Gentlemen: Thanks for your input... using this information, I was able to get it apart. Even took pictures so I could get it back together again. This throttle lever looks a little like pot metal, if it is, I'm wondering if it would take a layer of chrome?

Marty

kleiner

Post by kleiner » Tue May 19, 2009 7:49 pm

I just had my very deeply pitted throttle lever, along with most of the hardware from my boat, re-chromed by Wade Technology in Philadelphia and it came out very nice. He does very good work at what I think is a reasonable price.

qukalake

Post by qukalake » Tue May 19, 2009 10:53 pm

Wade is very good, he just did my exhaust flanges, very inexpensive. Right on time, also.

Dennis

1956 C~C Holiday
Good manners,
a gift you give yourself

mstover

Post by mstover » Tue May 26, 2009 7:24 pm

I received a bid on re-chroming some parts from my 57 CC runabout, and it's seems awful high to me. Could I get some opinions from you all that have had parts re-chromed. The bid was from a company in the Atlanta area, and it was for re-chroming the following: a pot metal throttle lever, the thin cutwater trim, the outer shell of a spot light, a rear lift ring, and a stern flagpole bracket, for a total of $400. Does this seem reasonable to you?

Thanks
Marty Stover

Take Time

Chrome Costs

Post by Take Time » Tue May 26, 2009 8:48 pm

Plating shops today have to deal with the local air districts and hazmat regulations. Clean air is good right? I made the mistake of taking a "long" lunch to drop off some hardware for new plating and wore my work ID badge. The owner thought I was on offical from the county and didn't want to talk to me.

Needless to say we both laughed at the fact my badge says Pepsi and sympathised at all of the regulations. They did do the mast base and light, horn, grab rails, window hardware, script and swim ladder hardware for $1800. Looked good on my 63 Connie.

Rob

qukalake

Post by qukalake » Tue May 26, 2009 9:35 pm

Mstover, Call Wade, in Pa. he will give you a basic quote on the phone. Tell him you got his name from the CC Boat Buzz. He does good work, and is fast return in the off season, I do not know about in season speed. Heck, he may not even have a slow season....
Dennis

1956 C~C Holiday
Good manners,
a gift you give yourself

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Tue May 26, 2009 10:13 pm

Wow, the cost for chroming must be sky-rocketing. I had these pieces done about 4 years ago for around $600.00. The only thin pieces were the horn, the rest are cast bronze.

Al

Take Time

Chrome

Post by Take Time » Wed May 27, 2009 10:02 pm

Al,

That was pretty much the same amount I had done. Maybe I need to look at sending it out of CA to get it done. There were two shops open in town, now there is one. One was forced to move over rezoning and has not reopened.

My next project for next winter is to refinish all of the deck hardware and stansions.

Rob

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Wed May 27, 2009 11:05 pm

Rob,

The folks that plated this hardware does mostly vintage car parts for guys in that business around town. The plating is already wearing thin on the cleats. I suppose you get what you pay for.

I have a large pile of hardware for the '48, 17' Deluxe to do soon as well as a few more Connie parts. I may need to shop around a little before he gets this order.

Al

mstover

Post by mstover » Thu May 28, 2009 2:55 pm

I just received a price from Wade Technology for re-chroming the parts mentions earlier, and it was for $265 plus freight. This seems more reasonable.

Marty Stover

Tightline5

Post by Tightline5 » Thu May 28, 2009 6:50 pm

Marty,Jim Wade does all of my work and when I needed something in a pinch on someone else time line he bent over backward to accomadate. There are many different standards of chrome, and I like what I get from Jim.
Phil Jones

1948 US Plywood Executive Runabout Hull #1 "WeldWood"
1954 Racing Runabout R-496
1957 Deluxe Runabout D-17-2062
"MISBEHAVIN"