Active Active   Unanswered Unanswered

Navy Top

Bronze, stainless, chrome or steel. If you need information about the non-wood items on your Chris-Craft, pose your questions here.

Moderators: Don Ayers, Al Benton, Don Vogt

JimF
Club Executive Team

Navy Top

Post by JimF » Fri Dec 07, 2007 10:42 am

I have a 1941 18' Deluxe Utility which came originally with the navy top. Of course, it is now missing. The Mariners Museum sent me a drawing which gives me a rough idea of what the frame is like. Does anyone know about these? I think the frame is permanently mounted, but can I put the canvas on or off as weather permits? It is snapped to the top of the windshield but I don't know how it would be attached to the frame. I would appreciate any help or guidance.

Al Benton
Club Executive Team

Post by Al Benton » Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:16 pm

Jim, this is uncertain but in studying the photo (#PI 2006) in CC - The Essential Guide (page 23) there appears to be a row of snaps along the edge. A clean enlargement of the original photo from The MM may help.

Al

JimF
Club Executive Team

Post by JimF » Fri Dec 07, 2007 1:04 pm

Al, Thanks for the reply. What is not shown in the picture are the side curtains. They attach to those snaps along the side top edge of the top and then to a row of snaps along the upper edge of the side windshield. My boat clearly shows the row of holes where the snaps used to be. There are also holes where the top frame was attached at the upper corners of the windshield and at the aft end of the side-shield.